Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What kind of coin???

NWMOhunter

I can't find it now to get a picture of it, but about 6 years ago during my first run at metal detecting (I'm shopping for my 2nd detector now), I found a coin in the yard at an old house. I never was able to find out what kind of coin it was so thought I might ask here.

The coin looked like brass. It was about the size of a current half-dollar. On the top, all that was printed was "NO CASH VALUE". On the bottom, there were like 2 grooves a little smaller than the size of a pencil parallel to each other.

The town this was found in was not a large town. There was a railroad through town, but it was a freight line not a passenger line. I was guessing it was like a tax coin. I wish I could find it again.

It's probably a maverick Good For token given out to customers at one time, if it was a Good For token, with a business name and town on it, it may have been worth some, depending on how common it was.

Phones also used such tokens, way back when. Ive got one or two.

There is no other marks on the coin other than the "NO CASH VALUE". Not sure if anything else was supposed to be printed on it or not.

DavHut...can you possibly post up a pic of one of your coins so I can see if that is what I had? I need to start looking for it!!!!

Yeah, the thing that makes it so difficult is that is all that the coin says. I wish there was some more info on it other than that and the grooves!