Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What kind of cleaning material to use in Lyman tumbler

GetRdone

I have a Lyman turbo tumbler, used to clean shot brass, have been told some people use them to clean coins too, was wanting to know what they used for grit or cleaning compounds, mine is a 1200 turbo, dry cleaner, any help would be appreciated.:detecting:

Normally a brass cartridge tumbler uses the corn cob media, or the crushed walnut shell media which last longer. Then there are additives that can be added to the media, tumbled to get the additive mixed, then the brass thrown in. This extends the media use and/or speeds up the cleaning process.
The media edges get worn in time and it takes longer and longer tumbling time as the media wears.
These vibratory tumblers don't tumble the way a barrel type tumbler does. I have the Tumbler's Tumbler UV-18 (I think - it's boxed in the garage) and haven't tried it on anything else except brass cartridges casings.
I tried a few other of these type of vibratory before settling on the Tumbler's Tumbler brand. It will run hours and not over heat. It's fan cooled and has thermo-protection for extra measure.

Thanks tab-nabit, I had read long ago that some people used fish tank gravel in rock tumblers, but wasn't sure if it would work well, with this type of machine.

Having tried gravel, sand, rocks, soap, vinegar, salt,laundry, cola, beer, detergent...I now do this:

Wash pennies with only pennies. Wash other clad together. Put in no more then one ounce/30cc of vinegar with lots of "HOT" water and tumble for 2-3 hours. The coins act as an abraision on each other and you really don't need to use anything else. It makes for a quicker cleanup too. When done, rinse well with hot water, place coins spread out on a towel, then cover with another towel. Move the coins around on the towel several times and continue to cover with other towel to help dry.

Next, hide those towels from your wifey, as she will surely tear a strip off of you for staining them. :nono: (don't say I didn't warn you :lol: )

Thanks John, only question I have, is concerning the liquid, as this is a dry use tumbler as I stated before, not that the reservoir wouldn't hold liquid, but am concerned if it splashed over or leaked, I could have a real problem.

Thanks Bill, I had heard of this as I said, just wasn't sure if it would work as well in this type of tumbler as a rock tumbler.

Yeah being a dry tumbler limits you some.as corroded or badly stained coins are a little tougher to clean than brass. If you watch the Harbor Freight ads or go to their web site they have rock/coin tumblers on sale often for about twenty bucks.

Bill

I agree with Uncle Willy. I got one of the $20 tumblers from Harbor Freight. I use Aquarium gravel, water and a touch of dish washing liquid. So far it has worked great. I have heard complaints about the belts breaking, but you can get them from the store or on Ebay. Since the barrel is rubber. it is very quiet. Don't think you can beat it for the money. Here is what you can expect the coins to look like after cleaning.

Buy a bag of the wide rubber bands at Office Depot or a similar store. They make great belts for the tumbler and mighty cheap.

Bill