Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is this blue glass ? ANYBODY know ?

Antique lover

I surveyed land for many years and have found lots of neat and old things , but I have never seen one of these. Does anyone know what it was ? Or how old it could be ? It is about 3 or 4 inches tall. The top is NOT broken.

Total shot in the dark but I would guess a candle holder. It has an incredible color in any case, nice find.
HH
Scott

looks like it might be an old ink well for a desk as its not to dark so you can see the ink level
in it,just a guess thou

I'd would also say old ink well.

Cobalt ink well...They do not use Cobalt in glass anymore...Bad for your health

Blue glass was made early 1800s to early 1900s, my wife has a good collection.By looks of top hand blown not cheap! great find.

I bet it could be all of those suggestions and do the job well so I will throw another possibility at you to think on. Maybe,, . maybe not an Eye Wash Cup. Many of them were made of the Cobalt Blue glass and not all looked as if they were made to just fit the eye socket.Like maybe you would spill some each time and be needing some more sooner than you would like I have a Cobalt Blue one in the shape of a Top Hat that I am pretty sure was an eye wash cup. Whatever yours is it is a real beauty!!

I should have recognized that myself since I started out back in 69 collecting insulators. I never ever ran across any threadless insulators though. Man that one is Beautiful, if that is what it is!!.I was about to come back and make mention that some folks I know just found one of the early "threadless" insulators and discovered that it is worth several thousand $$$. The threadless insulators only lasted a short period and they are extremely rare and highly sought after.So, Antique lover, don't let it get away from you at any price until you find out the whole truth of what it is and what it is worth. Could be some really big $$$ there and more than one a couple of folks that would want it.

My money says the ink-well guys nailed it. Scubadetector made a great point regarding the transparency. The dark, cobalt blue glass would allow you to see the ink level while the ink would be somewhat protected from fading in the sunlight. Regardless of what it is, you've found a great piece and with the cobalt blue glass it will be worth some $ to some collector if you decide to sell it. Again, great find.

PS- Have you posted this find on the bottle-hunting forum ? Probably a lot of blue glass expertise over there. Just a thought.
HH
Scott

The size of the hole is too large for an inkwell and the lip around the hole suggests it functioned to catch dripping wax. My money is on a candle holder.