Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What is it

rimdig chuck

I found this penny wrapped in a waxy paper about 1" deep it is silver in color 1982 no mint mark in great shape there is no copper showing at all. Does any one have an idea what it is? this is the second strange coin I found, see troy ounce .999. :confused:

My thoughts are that it was cleaned with some type of silver cleaner and that is what changed the color to the silver hue. Might want to try it on a reg. cent and see what happens. Maybe do a Google search?
Good luck and hope you find out what happened to it.

This penny doesn't have a silver hue it is as silver as a dime. I'm going to a friends house and we are going to test it for silver. Nancy take a look those coins in troy ounce .999,someone said that the silver dollar is special. all I wanted to do was to find old coins, but I'll take what I can get.Thanks for looking rimdig Chuc:detecting:k

1982 was a transitional period for pennies. They went from a brass alloy over to the most recent copper-plated zinc coin. The earlier coins have a higher copper and brass mixture. It basically can be melted down for the copper and be worth more than a penny. The government has banned such practice to limit the meltdown of coins. Your coin has been buried in the ground wrapped in plastic which helped bring out the zinc creating a silver colored coin. The plastic will actually help in the transfer of ions to help remove the copper coating. It is a shame our coins have become so cheap and unstable in circulation. Nothing like the good old days!
Anyway this is just my thought about your discovery.
Happy Hunting!

I have a penny such as this too that is a pre 1983 I found and it really shines like it is new silver, but when I scraped it I see someone had plated with something. I also have a quarter my grand daughter won at a hunt we had that is gold plated, looks just like a real gold coin.

While working in gold refining, I discovered that I could drop a pre-1983 penny into the hot pregnant solution, shake it around for about twenty minutes, and it would come out with a beautiful gold plate. Same works with silver solutions. I didn't have the heart to pass them off to anyone as something rare and special, but I did put several into circulation. They always seem to get a wide-eyed stare from clerks, etc. :rofl:

Marc

I did a silver test on it and it turned dark and dulled the spot thought I had a great find, oh well they can't take the rush away from me. Thanks for lookin rimdid Chuck

What kind of test did you do? Nitric acid will turn dark on silver due to the formation of light-sensitive silver nitrate, copper will turn green. Sulphuric acid on copper will turn bright blue.

If I remember correctly.....

Marc

I don't know what it was, it turned a dark brown and left a dull spot. I guess someone electro plated a penny wrapped it and buried it just to drive me crazy. hey Marc do you hunt those old sites down there? I just got permission to hunt an old ranch (1883)can't wait.Chuck:clapping: