Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What impressive people!:thumbup:

Royal

Last Saturday Mary and I decided to go up to Grayling Michigan to see the start of the

annual Canoe Marathon. We have wanted to go before this but we usually have company and

have never made it.

The race gun goes off at 9PM and we wanted to get a decent place to see the running start.

We got to town and found a great parking spot and headed to the river. I saw a guy and

asked him what would be a good vantage point and he told us on a bridge right at the spot

they entered the river after their running start. It was lucky for us that we asked as he

was an official of the race and the spot he sent us to was great. We had to wait for 2 and

a half hours but what the heck, there was entertainment.

This is the 61st annual Canoe Marathon and there were about 76 teams entered. They have

speed runs the day before and when each team places is where they place on the starting

line. It is about a three block run with canoes and equipment in hand to the river where

they start the grueling run down the river.

The teams, many having never paddled in the nearly 16-hour marathon before, will have to

make their way from the headwaters of the AuSable in Grayling, through meandering channels

and over six dams before coming to the finish at Mill Street Bridge.

Much of the race, which starts at 9 p.m. in Grayling at Ray

hopefully take a mounted camera along, oh and try to survive as we would really like to see it all:biggrin:

n/t

n/t

n/t

in fact I didn't see the lady and her boy at the time. I got it in photoshop and saw it

feeling it must be to just be in that group, let alone finish! Great story as usual, Royal! :clapping:

no hobbies are already dead and don't know it. We all know people like that

Seriously ......you'd be more capable of it than most of us here. Sure would require determination though. That was a good post ! :thumbup:

They are out there having fun. The older you get the more we figure out its not really about winning, but just staying in the game or at least for me it is. Just happy to be a part of it for many reasons. I can't imagine how much effort that took at age 83. Your sure right on the hobbies. I'm into the one with the most toys wins. Most of us will remember our toys and the fun we had, I doubt we would talk much about the money we saved or invested. Anything that keeps the mind and body busy is good. If you have aloved one to share it with, better yet.

Looks like you had a great weekend. Thanks for post.

Geo-Ct

don't you try this??? After all, I bet you would be up towards first! You know you COULD, if you would be nice to Mary! :rofl: Very good post, Royal. Seems like you all have had a really good summer! :)

it takes endurance muscles not big muscles. Some have both though. I am going on 69 years old and even though I would be tempted if the right partner came along, someone that has done it, I doubt Mary would be interested in all the training it would take. I might not either.

Summer has been good. We have friends coming up this weekend and my oldest daughter and her family are coming up next weekend. We spent 6 and a half hours on the river yesterday and as you know we spent it cleaning it.

I took my mask and snorkle and we got a lot of stuff out of it. Over 230 cans and bottles and lots of wine bottles, jello shot cups, shirts and some shorts that I would like to meet the lady that lost them! Sun glasses. We had to quit because it was getting late and we had miles to go to the truck. Might go back tomorrow and paddle to the place we left off and I will get in the river and have at it again. Mary stays in her kayak and gives me orders but I really enjoy it in the water. She is worried about muck and leaches. I have only had one leach on me. I did find a little eel in my shoe one day though.

I hope that procedure is working for you this time. Be well

<object width="330" height="330" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,115,0" ><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyejot.com/flash/embed_player.swf?m=1B57980DE88FB900007C027667"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.eyejot.com/flash/embed_player.swf?m=1B57980DE88FB900007C027667" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="330" height="330"></embed></object>

One hundred twenty miles and over six dams is one heck of a task. I am happy that your friends, Bob and Janet, completed the race...the smile on Janet's face says it all. I wonder if they have these type of races down here in Texas? Royal, enjoyable story, thanks for posting it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)