Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What happened to Raymond

pennywt

Well folks. I usually hope that my humble scribblings will bring a smile, but I was asked what happened to Raymond and are we still close.
A bit of history: Once a teacher told Raymond's mother that Raymond was "slow", when it came to book learnin.
"Slow" became "Retard". Everyone, except my granny and I referred to him as that. And the more he was called that, the more "retarded" he became.
I guess I could make excuses for the rest of the family; After all, not one of them had ever heard the word "psychology" , much less knew what it meant. But in truth, most of em were just plain mean and had mean mouths on them.
But back to Raymond.
The last time I had seen him, I was 16 and he was 18. The day I turned 17, I went into the service and didn't return to Oklahoma for many years.
About 5 years ago, I was making one of my numerous cross country trips, when I happened to be going through a small town in Indiana. Years before, I'd heard that Raymond lived there and sure enough, found him in the phone book.
We met for coffee and then he invited me home for dinner. He was an auto mechanic, who had his own garage. In our talking, I found out that he does a lot of "charity" work, for those who can't afford it.
But what I found to be most impressive was that he and his wife couldn't have children of their own, so they adopted eight mentally handicapped children.
And you know sumpthin? Not a one of them is ever called "Retard" !
God bless you, Raymond. You are by far a better man than I am.
Jess

can contibute something others cannot! It takes a special person to be able and work with the mentally challenged. Good for Raymond and his wife! If there were not people like them in this world, it would be a lot worse of a place to be! Raymond might be slow, but his heart of gold and his unconditional love he gives to these kids is to be commended!

I bet he was glad to see you, too! :)

I spent two years in the 7th, 8th and 9th grades and probably would have finished out the same way if I had not quit. I am not a genius but I am not retarded either. Now days they would have had me riding the short bus. I suspect that if there were vocational schools when I was a kid I might have done better. Maybe not.

I was just not interested in school and since my mother was raising us on her own I was rather wild.

I suspect Raymond was much the same. Nobody knows what makes some exceeded in school and what makes other fail. I guess some of it is what is inside of us. Some of us lack the drive I guess.

If he has his own garage and is successful, he is not retarded.

I loved your story's but you were putting them out so fast that I found myself hoping that you were not gonna run out too fast. It happens to all of us from time to time, until someone posts something that rings a bell.

You have a way of bringing the humor to a situation and are able to pass it on in a story. I loved them so far.

i have lost contact with too many friends of my youth. Mind you i have also been nearly a thousand miles away from where i was growing up for many years. Being an Army camp kid will do that.
Like Royal said, stories can bring back memories:super:

and chose to let others think what they would. He knew his real friends too! Thanx for sharin!

Dave

Raymond proved to be a better person than some of those that ridiculed him. Good for him! Thanks for posting this story, very enjoyable with the happy ending. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)