Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

what drives many of the Minelab users nuts and turns them off finally is....

Jim Vokes NY

that they hear too many false coin signals! Well, one must realize that when coming off of ferrous metal, the Minelabs will give a "coin" signal in one direction.

That is the key! Dig only the signals that are repeatable in both directions and ignore any that do not repeat! It will soon become second nature to check and go.

But REMEMBER.. Dig ALL REPEATABLE SIGNALS!!!!

you definitely would be missing the real deep coins. If you are talking about beginners here, then you have an excellent point. This way they will get to know the machine and later on try some of the other one-way signals. I had at a park a lot of these one-way signals and I dug one and it turned out to be a Merc at 10"+. That day I found 14 Silver, 30 Wheats, a Token and a few other finds that were on the limits of the detectors depth capabilities. Rick(ND) was with me at the time and he said he got nails that sounded better than the signals that I was getting that day. You just never know what those one-way signals are until you either learn the detector and get the experience under one's belt or you dig a few and get lucky. Definitely a beginners way to start out by digging only repeatable signals, I do agree with that 100%.

Most folks want to find lots of "coins" or good "stuff". If you are in a trashy area, digging "one way signals" and "broken" can get "ugly" fast. How many times can one dig 10 inches for junk before you start cursing the detector? Cellar holes and farm field homes forget it. High traffic parks, school yards no way.

Most folks will never get to that point because they get discouraged and "toss" the Minelab way before that point.

Many of us, but not all, reach a point finally where finding "coins" is old hat. That it is when we have the mental patience to dig junk and pass up surface coins for the deeper stuff. Realizing that we will not find as many "coins" but the ones we do will be good-uns!

After much experience you get a "feeling" when those "broken" signals and "one way" signals are actually "good" signals. Remember NOT to pass up large shallow signals in farm fields cause those old large coins can be right on the surface! YES!

You can see the difference in people from the posts here on the forum. One person will tell you how he detected all day for a seated dime and another will brag that they found 50 coins with a few silver. Some are happy with finding 100 (1600 - 1800s) coins in a year and some are happy when they find 5000 newer coins. "Makes the world go round"

I have a friend who has bragged that he has not found a "clad" coin in a year! Did he lie? Of course not, he just detected remote cellar holes and revolutionary war sites where there were no "clad" or "Lincoln" pennies to be found! He would go all day for a very few coins.. but oh those coins...

Doggone it now you got me itching to get out again! :twodetecting:

Probably applicable to most machines and good advice for newbies lest they become discouraged. As we get more experienced we can pick out certain audio variances and the like of one way signals and if things are slow with few hits do go for a one way signal now and then that turns out to be a keeper..Mineralization, trash issues, and just how target is positioned in the ground makes a world of difference. On those iffies I try to evaluate before digging as digging 10 inch holes for trash is self defeating at best.

With a few hundred hours practice in on the explorer 2 i can usually tell if the target i am about to dig is round or mis shaped, this means i dig very little trash but still ge the 6 inch deep coins.

Dig the repeatables first until you feel comfortable with how much experience you have with the detector and when the time comes and you have a good idea about what the detector is telling you, then you can go back and dig some of those one-way signals and see what the targets are. I use a little technique that works a lot of the time but once in a while it will fool a person. If I get a signal that is a one-way type signal, I will try and pinpoint it with the detectors pinpoint button. Then when you pinpoint the target, I take it out of pinpoint (while the coil is sitting directly over the top of the target) and wait about a second or two and then I do a pop up kind of motion straight up off of the target and sometimes it will give a chirp if the target is a Conductive target and it will be a null and you won't hear the chirp when it is Iron. Once in a while the detector is fooled by a rusty nail that is bent or some other Iron targets but for the most part it works for me quite a bit.

I stuck with it and am starting to do the programming for specific sites. That is a cool feature. For the EXII one must be more analytical and patient than the average person. Once you reach that point of perfection with it. Its like driving a New Cadillac through used tractor lot. They all run and will get most of the job done, but ain't none going to give a smoother and better ride than the EXII. There is not enough hours in a day now that I have it!! And can teach it.

Jimb