Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

what do you use for digging?

m.updyke

i use a small plastic garden spade. when there's something deeper than like 4 or 5 inches it really doesn't work to well. so i was wondering what are the better digging tools to use?.

I use the" Gator" trowel from kellyco. I have had it for a long time it is very strong made out of stainless steel. I have sharpened it so many times I could use a new one.It has been a great tool though.
I just went and looked at kellyco and I'm not sure if they are making them stainless anymore.I'm gonna order another and find out, also thinking of getting the 22" x 3" trowel.

Heres the link take a look. http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/trowels.htm

Where I live, in Washington State, a person MDing in a state park is not allowed to use any digging tool wider than 2". There is a rather cool garden tool available at Lowes Home Improvement stores that has a serrated edge and is about 2" wide. It is made of stainless steel I think.

I use a Fiskers plastic trowel, a flat blade 8" long screwdriver, a serrated kitchen knife and a small shovel I bought at Walmart for $10.
I'm thinking of shelling out the $14 for the cool tool from Lowes.. It would substitute for the trowel, screwdriver and knife.

Mark
Elite 2200

Home depot has one that works great. stainless steel cureved handle for lifting the plug out sells for about 6.00

I use a survival knife like Rambo's for the most part. I also have a hand held shovel and hand held Hoe/Cultivator.

Here is a tip for you guys.

I made a nice stiffer that works very well and is portable. Buy a flower pot bottom, about a 12" or larger. Your preference. I have a 15". Take your drill with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch bit and drill holes in the bottom.
I actually carry two of them. One has the holes, and the other doesn't, and carry them together and when ready, lift up one and sift the dirt right into the other. When I find my prize, I have all the dirt in the second tray, and can put in back in the hole.
Being it's plastic, it won't register when I need to move my pin-pointer through the dirt.

Happy detecting. :detecting:

I also use a 20" by 20" piece of upholstery vinyl upon which to place the dirt, so that I can easily get it back in the hole later.

Mark
Elite 2200

I use the one from lowes called ames true temper it has a lifetime warranty it is a 7 in one. I really like it .

I just bought one of the Lowes digging tools. I have included a photo. I also included a photo of the tools I used to take. The now tool will replace the trowel, knife and screwdriver. I am going to make a belt mounted leather sheath for the digging tool.

BTW, the Lowes tool was only $12.98.:bouncy:

Hey Christian Kentucky boy, have you ever heard of Danial Boone? If so, have you ever heard of John Finley? Check out Finley, He is a relative of mine.

The ames true temper is my favorite digging tool. Very rugged, well designed and seems indestructible at a very low price, around $12.00 at home depot.

http://www.amazon.com/Ames-True-Temper-Multi-Tool-2500800/dp/B001A84VQK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249422217&sr=8-1

I think one of my hunting buddies uses one of these:

....as his plugs usually look something like this:
:angry:

I too use the Ames True Temper. Lowes also carries a sheath that has a metal belt clip that the fits the digger. I bought the sheath this past spring and it is a real pocket saver.

Wasp:

I looked near the diggers and saw no sheath. I then asked an employee about a sheath and was told in the tool dept. they might have a hammer holster. In what part of Lowes did you find the sheath?

Thanks,

Mark
Elite 2200

The sheath was with the gardening hand tools and is made for gardening shears but fits the Ames digger perfectly. Very sturdy material with a small side pocket.

I suppose it could have been one of those seasonal items which when sold out is not restocked until next spring. I should be back in Lowes before this weekend and will see if they still have them. If they do have them I will post the stock # for you.