Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What did I find?......

Lil Brother

Last week I was at work and it was an unusually slow day. I sell fences to people here in the local community and carry my own personal metal detector with me to locate property pins. This day was realy slow so after debating for what seemed like weeks, I decided to take my Garretts GTA 750 over to the old McElhaney place off of Congo Road to see what I could find.

I was born and raised in this part of town and knew that all the McElhaneys were long gone. Their old house had been gone for at least 10 years and all that remained was the foundation with a driveway beside it. I really didnt know who to ask to see if I could run my detector over the old place, so I went against my better judgement and did it any way.

I wqsnt there over 10 minutes and after searching around the driveway and front porch of the old place without finding anything of value, I suddenly got a very strong signal a few feet away from the foundation. I expected to find a coin of some type, but what really was going throuh my mind was thinking that I might find something significant like a Barber half dollar or something of that sort.

I carry a chipping hammer and a small spade to dig with so after digging about six or eight inches deep, I hit a solid piece of old tin. I kept digging and after a second or two, my spade sunk up to my wrist and it was then that I saw the bottom. It seems as though I had dug to an old root cellar that looked to be about 4-5 ft deep and maybe 6 ft by 6 ft in diameter. I immediately noticed the floor had water covering it.

It was kind of erie and creepy knowing that no one had sen this "hidden chamber" for 40-50 years. I was sure of it; however, I didnt dig any further. I covered it back up only to go home to think what my next step would be. What was in this old room? was it really a room, a cellar, a septic tank, or what? I didnt know if I would stumble across a mason jar full of double eagles or if I would come out smelling like Do-do.

There is an apartment complex next door to this old place and a blacktop road in front. I cant expect to go back without being "detected" I would like to have some advise on this from all you experienced folk. Remember that eventually this place will probably be the site of another apartment or something simular. I dont know who owns this place , but Im betting probably a real estate company.

Have any of you guys ever come across a situation like this before? Please advise and

Thanks,

Lil Brother:):)

You have found the old cistern,built before the days of deep wells to collect rain water in.I have explored a few of them and found a few old bottles but nothing of great value.If you want to check it out I would try to get permission and be very careful.Some of those old concrete-rock walls are crumbley and could be very dangerous.Just my guess,good luck and be careful!

Check your state tax records, find out who owns it, and try to get permission. With any sort of luck, you can bet that permission and then go to town. When I found the safe underwater, and I had to let it sit for 6 months before I could get back, I tell you, it was fun dreaming......and I was wealthy for a while, even if it was only in my mind :)

all the best

M

you dig. I get half of whatever you find.........except you can have all the do-do!! :lol:

that old place, and you could probably find him in the phone book. Tread lightly, though, because seems he has fought the battle with the bottle for years, and is not in really good shape, particularly the later the day gets! :)

hime this a.m. and he was in his room, kicked back watching "Back to the Future" and wishing he had a good ole cheeseburger. He is off on Sunday, but works ten hours a day the rest of the time. Said this assignment was much easier than the last, but they did not let them take a computer! :)

Going out to build some more raised beds for the garden. It is a bear getting old. The old body does not want to bend as much as it used to so I raised the gardens. Now, very little bending :) :)

later..

All the best

M

and then have a ball. Chances are it is nothing but a hole in the ground but it is exciting until you know. It will drive you nuts until you do