Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What an incredibly depressing and unfortunate day..

Micheal_R

Staff member
Alice and I went out to get the absolute, this is the last, load of firewood today. We now have almost a 3 year supply if we give some to our kids; and probably a four year supply if we don't. On our way back down the hill, Alice says "Look, there is a bear". I stopped the truck and backed up the hill a bit. Sure enough, there was a youngster just sitting, literally, there. I got out the camera and was preparing to take a photo. When he did not move when we backed up, we suspected that there might be something wrong.

I got out of the truck to stir him up, and he tried to take off. I say tried because his back end was not working at all...... the only thing he could do was to drag himself through the forest. Reluctantly, and with much soul searching, I got the rifle from the truck and went up to him. It seemed as though he must have been hit by a truck. His whole back end was pretty much shattered. So I did the only humane thing that I could. I could have called the COs, but they most probably would have said to leave him, or if they agreed to come , would have made it next week.

He really was in pitiful shape and no matter how much you tell yourself that it will be a lot less painful this way [rather than the coyotes or cougars getting him], it still bothers and upsets me that I had to do it.

And then I heard the last of my mothers sisters, my last aunt, passed on today.

Sorry for the downer post. Do not know what to say.

Fair winds, calm seas, sunny skies

Mikie

With other animals and even pets and I know how hard it is.Anyone who could do such a thing without feeling sad about it is missing something in their heart......and anyone who would not do it shows a lack of compassion. Coupled with the loss of your aunt....It had to be a tough day for you and Alice.My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your aunt. Our prayers go out to you and her family.

I think you showed the cub a lot of love and compassion in your actions.

Nothing that I can say will undo what has transpired today...but my heart goes out to you. You and Alice will be in our thoughts and prayers. Kelley (Texas) :)

losses and joys seem to arrive in bunches. Hang in there buddy!

About all you can do is remember the good times and keep marching. Not always easy thats for sure. In regards to the bear, I to hate to put any animal down but at times, it is the better of the ways to go. Yet, there is not a good feeling about it. Like you said the bear would have been taken out by other animals and thats not pleasant I'm sure. Fast and instant is better. You did the right thing.

Geo

n/t

it is never easy to do that without good cause, but losing family is even more difficult, sorry bud.