Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What a week !

Dan-MO

10 days ago we were hit by the "storm of the century". It was a 150 mile path of destruction caused by hurricane force wind and tornados.At one point over 1 million people were without electric (many for more than a week)and left to face the record 100 degree plus temps without electric or water.

The area was declared a disaster area and the national gaurd was called in to distribute water ice and food.Local hospitals were filled to over flowing and local schools were turned into emergency relief shelters that were life savers for some of the elderly and sick.

We recieved some moderate damage to our home and the electric was off for 8 days.A couple of years ago I purchased and installed a 10,000 watt generator to be used for back up and it proved to be worth it's weight in gold.Our house was full as we opened it up to neighbors who were not so fortunate.

The electric co brought in workers from 6 states who worked non stop to get electric restored.Workers from Mississippi likened the damage they saw to that of Katrina.

As things return to normal there are a few things I am thankful for and proud of.
1-No one was killed or seriously injured in the storm-although tragicly one utility worker lost his life to a downed wire while working to restore power.

2-There were NO reports of looting or theft and MANY reports of neighbors and even strangers working together to help each other and look after the elderly and sick.

3-Hundreds of downed trees blocked highways and roads-These were for the most part cleared by volunteers with chainsaws and trucks-leaving the utility cos to do more important work like replace power lines.

4-Resources were shared and doors were opened to neighbors and strangers alike-People for the most part recogised what needed to be done,joined together and DID IT.....without waiting for someone to do it for them

5-According to the electric co this was the worst widespread storm in their 100 year history-and after about 10 days things are nearly back to normal

lineman,we were without power for about 4 days about 5 winters ago due to an ice storm,with downed trees being the main culprit.some people were without power for 2 weeks.makes you appreciate modern conviences,don't think texas would have near as many people as it does without a.c.

good to hear people pulled together,bet your glad things are getting back to normal.

I have a generator too but it is always at the other place. I got so I would just carry it in the back of the truck so it was where I was!

It is good that there was no looting and such but I guess it is a difference in the character of the people. Good for you folks!

It feels good to help people doesn't it? :D Too bad some people never get the feeling

You folks having terrible weather...heavy rain, tornados, flooding and goodness knows what else, and we are begging for rain down here in South Texas. I agree with you, thank goodness there were no deaths due to your bad weather. As you described, folks seem to band together when something bad happens...wonderful! I am glad everything is OK up there! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

generator, and I wouldn't think you would do anything other than open your door to others. We know that's the kind of people your family seems to be, just from your posts on the forum. You are a good egg!

Just know, if any of us here lived closer, we would have been their too! You and your neighbors are in our prayers, even if I did not read this until after the fact>

Glad you all are okay, and the things you are thankful for is heart felt. We all know that too! :)

Funny how that goes. I just set it up so that if we lose power, I can run the generator and keep a couple of lights on, run the water pump and maybe the microwave. Your story makes me very happy that I did that!!

sunny skies

M

Just goes to show, when ya have the right mindset ya Git-Er-Done instead of waitin fer the handouts!

Dave