Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wet suit in warm water?

relic-hunter

Perhaps people with more water hunting experience can answer this question for me. I read in another post that they make you more buoyant, what are the other advantages? I have seen at least three other water hunters here in the warm water of the Gulf of Mexico wearing wetsuits, but I only talked to one and forgot to ask him about why he wears a wet suit. I have just been wearing shorts and a tee shirt when I am in the water. Am I missing something?

Ken

LOL, get hit with one and you will think about it. I am sure other people have other reasons for wearing them, but not only protection from cold, but critters is why I have them. I sometimes wear what they call a shorty if its really hot.

Dan

I always wear old jeans and a heavy denim jump suit as well as heavy gloves in warm water. Provides some protection against all the junk that tends to be in the silt also.

It is very easy to get cut up while digging around in some of those areas.

Rip

In the Gulf the water under 80 is cold to us boys in FL. We wear wet suits for the cold ,jellyfish and other things that float in the waters. If you spent 4 to6 hours in the water you will cold,the wetsuit will keep hipothirmia from setting in.( not the best speller ) Maybe you have not been in Fl. long .that why the water doesn't fell cold yet. Happy huntting Ron Lord, Naples ,FL.

A light 2-3mm suit won't make you much more bouyant, but a heavy 7mm will. I consider bouyancy a negative; makes it hard to stay over a target in rough surf.

A 7 mil wetsuit in FL. waters would be like sitting in a car with theheater on full blast. You wouldn't last long. A 3 mil suit will keep you comfie.

1. Keeping warm (I hunt for up to 8 hours)...if things get a little warm then you can easily unzip the back and let in cooler water.....
2. Great sun protection...
3. Protection from anything that can sting...
4. Buoyancy can be a problem but the positive is that even a 2/3mm wetsuit can keep you afloat if things go wrong...

I wear mine all the time...but my waters are "Mediterranean"....range from about 60F in winter to about 75F in summer.....so coolish in my books.
Mild hypothermia can be felt after about 2 hours if not wearing a wetsuit. I take no chances.

Tony.

Wet suits not only for protection from sun and some forms of sea life, but water removes heat from the body 25 times faster than air.

Islandjoe57

I was in the water for about three hours today and was wearing a full 5mm farmer John type wetsuit, neoprene dive boots, and dive gloves. After about 2.5 hours I started getting really cold. At no time did I ever feel too warm. Depending on the water temperature I can wear either the full suit or just the top section or the bottom section.

John

I detect in freshwater, I wear a wet suit as a second skin to keep me warm. Even if it is the hottest day, hunting in the water without one you can lower your body temp. some. I go up to my neck when in the water, then coming into shore and a breeze blows by, wow you shiver like crazy. The water sometimes is warmer than the air.