Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

wet salty sand

Serendipity

Ok I was just reading someone else's thread and there was a mention about wet salty sand, which detector is best for that??? DXT or MXT??? From what I have gathered so far both would do fine. Have you used both and would prefer one over the other? Thanks.

Serendipity said:
Ok I was just reading someone else's thread and there was a mention about wet salty sand, which detector is best for that??? DXT or MXT??? From what I have gathered so far both would do fine. Have you used both and would prefer one over the other? Thanks.

Neither.
PI.

If you meant DFX ( instead of DXT ) then that works just fine in the wet salt sand. The MXT does not work as well in that environment. If you want to dig it all, get a PI, but don't use it on iron trashy beaches cuz you will be digging bits of iron all day long.

n/t

Therover,, yes I meant DFX sorry. Hmm so the MXT doesn't do so good in the salty wet sand? I thought people said it did do ok. Man it seems the more I read, the more confused I get. I just need to order me a detector and get it overwith, and then get another one anyhow for the beach. Isn't that what all hobbies are about, the toys? and having fun using them?

Seren...the MXT may do OK on some beaches, but I do know here in NJ, my friend could not hunt the wet sand with his MXT. He had to dial it down so much, he couldn't pick up a nickle on the surface.

Since the DFX is multi frequency, it more than handles its' own on the wet sand. I use mine 2 ways. Multi freq in the set sand, 15kHz on the dry. I have a dry sand program that picks up the smallest foil, tabs and rings. Can't go near the wet sand with it as with this program it goes crazy. But I have another program that uses the multi freq and correlate options, along with several other adjustments, that does great in the wet sand and when the beach is riddled with iron.

Don't get too confused....if you will be hunting salt beaches, the DFX is the only way to go between the two. Plus, once you get used to some of the options, it's a damn good all around detector for any application.

Serendipity said:
Therover,, yes I meant DFX sorry. Hmm so the MXT doesn't do so good in the salty wet sand? I thought people said it did do ok. Man it seems the more I read, the more confused I get. I just need to order me a detector and get it overwith, and then get another one anyhow for the beach. Isn't that what all hobbies are about, the toys? and having fun using them?

I guess ALL THers whom I know have at least three-four MDs. I said AT LEAST. Not uncommon to have five-six, even eight. For different situations. Specialized machines bring better results than some one ALL - ROUND.

Same thing like with I-PHONE or Nokia N-95. MP3 player, camera, GPS, laptop and phone in one package - but all these features are POOR in comparison with GOOD camera, GOOD MP3 player, GOOD laptop and GOOD GPS. Products of this type are oriented to people who do not understand the concept of QUALITY. Mostly younger trendy generation. To brag with one`s peers and mates.

Buy one MD for parks, one for salt water/beach, one for fresh water and rain and one universal compact for travel - so realistically you need four. If you are serious about the hobby.

Pretty much setteled for now. Each machine has a task it does better then the rest. The only one that I have not used in the last 4 months is the Fisher goldbug it's my goto the beach and dig every speck o' nothing machine. Now it will hit fine gold chains.

Mirco said:
Buy one MD for parks, one for salt water/beach, one for fresh water and rain and one universal compact for travel - so realistically you need four. If you are serious about the hobby.

FOUR! Man I was hoping to get by with maybe two, if I couldn't do it with one! and for those of you that have EIGHT, I think y'all are crazy! But then again, I don't even have my MD yet, so we will see. Well I was planning on getting the MXT, but since I will be doing parks, playgrounds, and the salty beach wet and dry. I might have to reconsider again. Thanks y'all for keepin me straight.

Good Old Garrett Sea Hunter and a big scoop.