Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went to a few garage sales and found one heck of a bargain..............

Kelley (Texas)

I do not know what these flowers are, but I bought all three for two dollars. The lady gave me a special price because I was the only person that showed an interest in them. I quickly gave her two dollars and then immediately left before she could change her mind.

I am going to make a flower garden in front of the house and use these as the base. I will plant a few rose plants around them, and then pour a couple of packs of flower seeds to the front of the flower bed. I have seen some rose bushes on sale in front of the grocery store where Debbie shops for groceries, think they sell for $1.99 each or so. I will buy two of them and will put one on each side of the flowers that I bought at the garage sale today. The packs of flowers can be bought at the hardware store up the road from us...they have a metal rack full of all types of colorful flower seeds. I will use a hoe to loosen the soil and toss the seeds in the dirt and cover them up...then water them for a few days and they should do OK.

We are the only house on our street that does not have a flower bed, but that is now fixin to change. This flower bed will be smack in front of the house where everyone can see it. The flower bed will be where the shrubs use to be...the shrubs died after we moved in here and we did not plant any new ones. This looks like it is going to be fun! Kelley (Texas) :)

These are the flowers that I bought for two dollars at the garage sale.
[attachment 142541 garagesaleflowers.jpg]

If those are succulent leaves you haven't bought much in the way of flowers, but you've bought one heck of a treatment for cuts, scrapes, & burns. The look like Aloe Vera.

If those are succulent leaves you haven't bought much in the way of flowers, but you've bought one heck of a treatment for cuts, scrapes, & burns. They look like Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera, if that's what they are, are very sensitive to cold. Even a light freeze & they're gone. You can separate them into different pots--one plant to a pot--& they'll multiply like rabbits. Just be sure to bring them in if there's a freeze predictied.

will be located...below the double windows where the shrubs are located. Do you think that they will be protected from the cold if planted there? The house faces East. I plan on removing them from the pots and planting them in the ground, but if they are going to die when it gets cold I may have to come up with another plan. All that I know is that I thought that buying them for two dollars was a bargain. I will confess that I do not know much about flowers because we did not have them at the old home place out in the county. Kelley (Texas) :)

Flower bed will be below the double windows.
[attachment 142544 DSC00114.JPG]

that there are no flowers. The wild animals view flowers as desert and will eat them. We tried several times to plant flowers, but eventually the wild animals won the battle and ate whatever we planted. We did have a vegetable garden, but it was enclosed with a wire fence to keep the animals away. Kelley (Texas) :)

This is a picture of the house, note there are no flowers.
[attachment 142546 MVC-017S.JPG]

Picture of front horse pastures.
[attachment 142547 MVC-019S.JPG]

Picture of the back yard looking towards the south cow pasture.
[attachment 142548 MVC-022S.JPG]

Picture of the front of the south cow pasture.
[attachment 142549 MVC-024S.JPG]

This is a picture of a few Red Bud Trees and a horse barn in the background.
[attachment 142550 MVC-601S.JPG]

must of took some adjusting! See you kept the truck.. That steel steed of yours gives you your freedom to still feel the outdoors! I enjoy yardsales,and flowers, but, know very little about them... looks like a good buy, if your plans can work out. :thumbup:

Debbie and I made the decision that we would get a house that would not require very much maintence to maintain. At first, I would often sit on the tailgate of the pickup and watch the sun go down, sorta dreaming about the old home place and etc. Then I bought the bike and started riding the back roads and taking pictures along with writing short stories about the adventures. Last month after several dangerous diabetic problems while riding the bike, the bike had to go, but I am using the truck now that everything is medically under control again. This coming weekend I am hitting the road again with the camera, but with the pickup truck instead of the bike. Ron, I learned a long time ago that you have to play with the deck of cards that life gives you and it does not do any good to sit around and feel sorry for yourself. I still get up every morning with a smile on my face, thankful for all the good things that life has given me...a good wife, family, friends. I try to cope with any problems in life by trying to find humor in the problem...I try to find humor in life with everything that I do, always have been that way. Yes, down sizing took some adjusting, but we did it and are doing just fine. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Hi Fred,

Your philosophy for living is the healthiest there is and is a major contributing factor for having a long and enjoyable life!!

May God grant it be so Friend,

CJ

Most Texans of my generation are generally happy people and look for the good in everything and we do not dwell on "set backs" in life. I grew up in the best times and have no regrets. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

However, since my knowledge of plants is limited, my identification is suspect!! :):

Still very nice shots of the homestead. I know you must miss that. I know I would.

Fair winds

Micheal

Thats a "SANSEVERIA" also known as a snake plant. The one you have is called the "LAURENTII" type of Sanseveria. Takes lots of abuse and dry conditions. Its other nick name is "mother-in-law-tongue" We sell alot of em here.

them. She used to put some kind of shinny stuff on them, made them look pretty neat. They got big. They sell them up here in like little rock garden set ups. Nice looking plant. We have the Christmas Cactus here and those flower up pretty nice. We just brought in all our outside flowers for winter. We have a green house like set up donwstairs in the basement that lets them hibernate all winter in. Gets to cold here to leave them out. Nice looking home Fred.

Geo

being "green" and conserving water:thumbup:
Ya know, in Alberta most washrooms had a sign that said "please flush twice Saskatchewan needs the water":lol:

Dad was a rose nut. When we lived in town he had over 100 rose bushes in the yard. I used to pick a rose to take to my girlfriend every morning as I left for school. Once we moved to the ranch permanently there were no more flower gardens. The vegetable garden was largely to feed the deer. Anything that bore above-ground was deer fodder. Underground fed the armadillos & coons. Between the coons & the coyotes keeping chickens was an exercise in futility. Mom had us plant 3 rows of blackeyed peas one year. We all loved blackeyed peas w/potlikker. Never got a single pea. Before they were ripe for picking the deer ate 'em all--& the plants; too.

Somebody suggested stringing pieces of aluminum foil on the fence to keep the deer away. We tried it. All it did was give the fawns something to play with while Mama ate up the garden. The only way to keep a vegetable garden where we were would have been a six-foot chainlink fence topped with GI-issue concertina wire & a foot-deep, 6" wide concrete footing under the fence. The deer couldn't jump it, the coons couldn't climb over it, & the coyotes & 'dillers couldn't dig under it. Oh, yeah--it'd also need a hardware-cloth roof to keep the crows out.