Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went for a short dig. BRRRRR!!!!!!......

Mike from MI "Iron Brigade"

Staff member
Went just over a mile down the road to hunt a bean field that I hadn't hunted for a few years. As soon as I started down the road to get there the white stuff started to fly out of the sky and the wind picked up! BRRRR!!!! The wind chill was well below freezing! GRRRR!!!! I was bound and determined to find something. Got an ornate victorian piece that needs bent back into the right shape, two pieces of an old pocket watch and a small pewter button. I also got several trash items. I was starting towards the truck and got a nice little high tone. I was thinking let this be a coin! Out pops this little silver disc. I seen it was a merc so I put it in my container filled with cotton balls. Knowing I wanted to clean it at home and not rub it full of scratches in the field. Got home and rinsed the dirt off and seen it was a 1916 with plenty of detail. Checked the other side and sure enough no mint mark. Oh well I'll take it. (Just a note!!!!) I have seen so many videos where guys find that silver coin and they just have to see the date so they rub it full of scratches. Silver is soft! You can get away with it with copper but not silver. The date will be the same when you get home so wait. Just think if that was a "D" mint mark on that merc I found. Had I scratched it up in the field it would have lost a lot of value. Shoot I even seen a guy find a super nice gold coin on a video last night and the guy about rubbed it to death! :nono:
[attachment 260915 DSC07168.JPG]
[attachment 260916 DSC07170.JPG] [attachment 260917 DSC07171.JPG]

Fantastic find MIke. In all the years I've been detecting, I've never found or known anyone personally that found a 1916 Merc. Congratulations bro. Too bad it didn't have a D mint mark.

Nice Merc Mike!

I have two others. Another P and an S mint mark. Those two were in back to back yards.

They look EXACTLY LIKE the piece I found,in the next door house's yard I detected last year.I KNEW that was a pocketwatch frame!!!I found a "V" nickel over there,too....I'm going back over there VERY SOON,...I just KNOW there is some older silver in that yard!!!....................:garrett::thumbup::rofl:...........................

n/t

Congrats Mike!