Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Went fishing and caught up in mud.......

ojm bc

Hello folks:
Well reading the near demise of Rob in the mud pit reminds me of my own close call.It was in the summer of 95.My buddy Russ decided to drive a few hours out of Vancouver and do a little trout fishing.We headed a little north toward the Checkamus river near Whistler.

It was a care free day we thought,we enjoyed fly fishing and catching the odd rainbow trout.We both brought our best friends with us Lucky my german shepherd and his best friend Chesty a Chesapeak Bay dog.

We had a routine of trying any area that had nice water pools near rapids,or pools where a small stream enters the larger river.These spots were pretty good for trout fishing.

We were having little luck in one spot and got in my Van and drove a little further north ,on the highway along the beutifull river and moutain scenery we noticed that Green lake was lowered by the hydro dam.We decided to explore the newly exposed bottom of the lake.It took us 20 minutes to walk down a steep hill just to reach the freshly exposed sand.The dogs were having a field day for sure.

This lake is huge we saw a possible fishing spot but we had to walk over the freshly lowered lake bottom.With both of us carrying a fishing rod and tackle box we headed toward the pools about 15 minutes east of the lake bottom.After about 5 minutes toward our fishing spot,we suddenly sunk to knees or higher.It sure was a stupid idea to walk across this lake.We both panicked a little but managed to free ourself's from a very serious situation.

I freeded myself first and then checked how Russ was doing,it took him a little longer because he was a body builder and little heavier then me.Well we called our dogs and got the heck out of there.We were lucky to have survived such a dangerous area.We almost saw our makers that day.I still occasionly go fishing with Russ and his young son.I have another near death fishing misadventure with Russ ,another day take care ojm bc :)

I have seen lakes, while diving, that the bottom was so soft that I could swim right into it. I have dug holes in the soft jelly like silt that my whole body could get into and I was still finding money. If that water was taken away and someone walked on it they would be gone in an instant.

And while I'm thankful that I did, there's not much left to do but to chuckle at the stinky mess I was. But on a serious note, you'll not catch me in that situation again. I know exactly how you felt. Thanks for joining ranks.:)

n/t

reminds me of a time when I was about 18 years of age. Decided to explore an old quarry with a friend, and there's this large round open space of what looked like a dried, cracked mud bed. Well, I run across it, and next thing I know, I'm up to my knees in Quagmire, that's black and smelly like rotten vegetation. Hell I was scared, didn't dare move for fear of getting sucked under, like quicksand. My friend managed to pull me out by reaching out with a long steel pole, I grabbed it and slowly moved, and with each step felt like I was sinking further down. Finally got out of it, and just sat there on the back, with my friend, counting my lucky stars so to speak!
Never did that again!:shrug::)

Some of those mud flats can be treacherous fer sure! Lets hear some more!

Dave

ever read from you, OJ! What a mess you got into, but glad you survived! I have a fear of getting stuck, myself! Tell us some more of your adventures!! :)