Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well, today was an interesting day.

George-CT

Had 3 coyotes trying to run down a yearling deer out back. One had him down for a second but it managed to get up and get going in a
split second again. The second one jumped over the first one. This one got up and was headed back with the other two to complete the job. 243 took care of that problem. I'm guessing but it felt like about 65 lbs. Really in nice shape, teeth looked good, and pelt did also. They are eating pretty good on turkeys and deer and someones pets. At night here the sing you to sleep. My wife followed me down on the horse and took these pictures of it. Chance of light snow here tonight had her grab a few shots of it when she went by on her trail ride. Not sure if its the same pack of them but I've had them in the yard about 3 times now trying to get my dog to follow them back in the woods. That would not be in my dogs best interest. Also had them trying to get my geese, they did get my ducks and some chickens. There are really a lot of them around here now, and even the wardens are saying they are taking down a lot of small deer.

While Jane was bush wacking with the horse she came across this old cast iron sprocket laying up against a rock. She liked it as a picture so grabbed it.

It was nice and crisp out but the sun felt nice.

George-CT

and the only nasty animals around here have two legs.

Have a great turkey day. Mebby a Coyote would cook up good in a Crock Pot!!

We are going to my son George's house at the lake. He is home for a week and my daughter Heidi is home from Dec 5 to the 12 so that makes my wife and I real happy. Are you going to do any GPSing in Waterford? Do you hit any along the roads on the way down?
I hope to get out this week myself. Trying to pain up a few rooms before my daughter gets back east so not sure how much free time I'll have.

Yeah, Wildly Coyote is sure well adapted for what it eats. Unfortunately it also has adapted well in these parts to domestic animals as well. One did attach a kid down the other end of the state. After seeing these work the deer, I have no doubt they could take a kid down. I hate to take them out, but I like all my animals on the ranch here also. Choices choices.....

Hey, have a nice Turkey day and stay safe on the highways.

George-CT

I have a real hate on for those critters [and cougars]. I have just set up a stand ..... oh maybe 16 feet up ... so on the cold moonlit nights with snow on the ground, I can get a decent shot.

Congrats

Fair winds

Mikie

It appears that the coyote has been eating very good. If you have that many coyotes around you, you best keep your pets in the house at night. They will try to lure your household dog away from the house, then the entire pack will attack and kill it. Down here in South Texas, they will attack a mama cow while she is giving birth and thus defenseless...over the years, I lost many good cows and calves to those evil animals. Many times they will attack a young calf and if the calf escapes, it will often die from infection from the bites. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

They can be very dangerous to young children under some circumstances. About thirty years ago, I remember the Fergunson boy having to climb a tree to escape from a pack of coyotes...I think he was about eight years old when this happened. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

also because they needed thinning out. We also had Coyote problems with stock and pets as well as local wildlife. I had greyhounds for a few years and they did a great job on the howlers, none came near when they were around.
They are a part of the normal environment but when they get overpopulated due to man providing free food they need to be culled.
That sure is a healthy looking critter George, get the other two!:thumbup:

looks like they have their winter coat on there,i've seen two run over close by recently,the first i've seen hit on the highway in a while.they weren't fattened up like the one you shot and their coats were still kind of thin from what i could see going by.they just had a story about bobcats killing a womans geese in a ft.worth suburb close to the airport in a fast growing area.people are wanting the city to trap them and cart them off else where.just one of the problems of growth confronting nature.

n/t

Perhaps a coyote stole. Never heard of anyone eating them. If they would stay away from my chickens and dog, I might look the other way. These have been building in population for quite a few years and have adapted well to living around people and their pets. At times out here, with the pups it sounds like they have surrounded the house. Drive you nuts in the spring time. I don't know if they would try and take a horse down, I don't think so. They might take one if it was down sick. The state introduced the Fisher cats to control the Turkey population that has gone nuts here also. 30 in a flock is normal, and they compete with the deer big time for acorns.
Then again, the Fisher cat is quite and efficent killer in its own right. Once again, pets are on their menu. Like you mentioned, the population si growing to much and they don't have any place left to go. Especially here on the East Coast. We are the bedroom between New York and Boston....Easy drive to either one and cheaper housing.

George

that green hardhat liner you wear!:rofl: Are you gonna skin it out? Might find a buyer for the pelt!

Dave

He once was rode hard and put up wet every night. Nowadays, well, he's just put up wet.

sowin' and reapin' principle I reckon.

aj

Those hard hat liners are great for hair impaired heads. If my head is warm, I'm warm. That and the one piece jump suit and I can be out in some pretty nasty weather. I seldom wear a coat, just a sweat shirt under it. The no drafts is what I like. Even on my roads bike in winter on cold days, I can wear that get up and do pretty well even at turnpike speeds. You gotta love those hard hat liners where you up on the towers. I know I did.

Geo

Know what ya mean bout the liners, best thing on steel there ever was! Doc says I ain't supposed to climb anymore, so I leave that to the younger guys. I thought you might line the liner with some warm coyote fur!:biggrin:

the coyote pelt, turn it inside out and wala, fur lined liner. You must have my barber then, takes it all in the middle and leaves the sides..