Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well, since it too cold to do much of anything outside, I thought that I would work on this project.. :)

Micheal_R

Staff member
A friend, whose parents and grandparents have lived in the valley since, well, forever, loaned me her photo albums. In going through them, I have found a LOT more places to go detecting next year...... Places that I did not even know existed. So I am taking photos of the photos.

This is a very small sampling of what i am doing and what I have to look forward to next year!!! :)

fair winds

M

[attachment 41857 edgewood-of-old-018.jpg]

[attachment 41858 edgewood-of-old-030.jpg]

[attachment 41859 edgewood-of-old-078.jpg]

n/t

They are cheap now and do a great job. You can blow up the pics. When you getting high speed?

I called a while ago but you were goofing off somewhere. :D

these are only a very few of the pics. I am warming up to the idea. :) I have been out in my [heated] shop, working on my 1964 Land Rover. That is going to be a lot of fun when I get it finished.

Also had to chase the horses back into the paddock. The two new ones [which are low dog on the totem pole] are being harrassed by the 'old crew'. Thus there is a pecking order to settle out. When that is done, then they should all get along....... I hope!! :)

Hi speed??? In theory [and we have heard that song before] .... by Dec 12th. At least we have a date!!! :)

sunny skies

M

n/t

...I have found that the absolute best way to photograph old photographs is to take a table and place it in open shade...no lights, just open shade. Set your camera and (in the old days)bracket the exposures. With today's cameras, one can tell instantly whether he has the right formula for a good photo or not.

In open shade, one usually does not need a tripod, although it is a great help and adds to he clarity of the copy.

I wish you the very best in your future hunts.

On your return of the photographs, it would be wise to take a large scale county (or parish) map of the areas of interest and ask the old folks to either explain where certain places were or have them point them out on the map. They might say things like "just south of the crossroads north of town." Well (and here's where the fun comes in) compare a modern map with a map of the earlier era from a library or museum (you can copy THEM with your camera too) and then triangulate to the suspected point of interest from two other known points.

Clear as mud??? Hope not. Have LOADS of fun...and don't forget to post all that loot on the forum. :)

Thanks for sharing.

aj