Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Well, it ain't quite finished. ... But the back is broken and from here on in, the job should be easier..

Micheal_R

Staff member
As some know, I have been a little busy this year restoring a 1964 land rover. When I got it, I had no idea of just how much work I had put upon myself. Banjo, the original owner, God bless and love him, loved to take things apart. However, he wasn't any too proficient at putting things together after he did the apart thing.

As well, I have not shown the myriad of holes that he had drilled into the body [everywhere]. I had to take some time cleaning them up and then welding them shut. And since it is an aluminum body, the work factor expanded exponentially.

Here is shot one, after I had welded the holes shut, welded up the frame [which was gone in a few places] and dollied out the major dings and bruises. I have ground most of it down and at this point, it is acid washed and fixed.At this point I have already done the canopy.

[attachment 49324 rover-in-production-001.jpg]
[attachment 49325 rover-in-production-003.jpg]

Once the acid washing and fixing has set up, then an etch primer is used[this is a primer with, you guessed it, acid in it too.

[attachment 49326 rover-in-production-004.jpg]

Once the etch primer has set up, then I use a regular primer on it. Then it sits for a couple of days and then it gets hit with 400 grit to smooth things out and to give the paint a binding surface.

[attachment 49327 rover-in-production-006.jpg]

Since it was done in two colours, the painting was a two part procedure. I did the dark blue first and then the 'tealish' blue next. I was going to take ALL of the barks out.... `but decided to remove only the major ones. I will, in time get a passenger fender, but for now, since the fender is not up against the tire as it was when I got it, I will live with this. It will be, after all, used for going into the woods and getting scratched and banged up so concours quality is hardly necessary.

[attachment 49328 rover-in-production-010.jpg]

It has managed to get me through this winter, but now that the weather is better, I hear arrowheads calling. I have to replace the wiring harness [forgot to mention that Banjo took that apart too...... and replaced every wire he removed with green]

Hope it is not too boring.

Calm seas

M

I had a 61 safari with the extended rear and double roof. I had to cut a hole in the driverside fender to access the master cylender for the clutch. Put a swinging plate cover on it.

Do the seats lift up so you can see the driveline ?? Mine did, and I used that to great advantage. After leaving the drivein theater, there would usually be a line of cars wanting to pass cause I was so slow. I used to lift the center seat and causually drop a cherry bomb or two. The cars following were too close to see them till they went off right under them. :lmfao:

It also has a spot for a power take off shaft to run out to the back. I have not figured just what I am going to power..... still, a nice feature..

And who these days has heard of a band brake??

Fair winds

M

And one heckuva transformation too.:clap: I'd love to have a set of wheels like that......there's not many roads that can't be travelled with that puppy. That's a classic !!:yo:

Looks like a fun project with a lot of rewards when its ready to crawl round the woods. We have a few beaters here we use in the woods. One is my wifes, 4x4 Jeep Cherokee, a older Dodge Ram 50 4x4, a 86 toyota 4x4 truck we have rescued a couple of times. On third engine, 2 tranny, and a lot of body parts. Dam tree's jump right out in front of ya...LOL and the latest one is a Ford small bronco 4x4 with the lift kid on it. We got it to trash at a demolition derby at our bike club, but it had to much life left in it. We have climbed over every stone wall on the property this week with it, stuck it twice, needed the tractor and a chain to get my son out. Broke thru thick ice in a swamp, so needed a tug with the old International.

You have some great country to play with stuff like that. Much more crowded here in CT with lot of tree huggers saying you can't do that. Sure I can, watch this......LOL........ They are big into rock climbing here on the rock out cropings and ledges. Be sure and put a picture up when your all done doing some 4x4 wheeling with that little unit...Nice job on the restore.

George-CT

I had a 68. Kept it looking bone stock, but I tricked around with the drivetrain for a bit. Changed the trans to a top loader, made the diffs taller and then stuffed a 5 litre from an 89 mustang in it..... with all the fuel injection stuff on. And then I really went nuts on the motor :)

I had a ball with that little beast. I blew the doors of a few cameros. In fact, after I had taken one out, the guy eventually caught me and asked what I had done . I told, and showed, him and he offered me a sum of money that I could not turn down, right then and there.

But it was fun while it lasted. :)

fair winds

M

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t

n/t

It is especially difficult because aluminum is extremely difficult to weld without burning a hole in the body. It looks good and I can not wait to see it when you are finished with it. I can relate to the arrowhead hunting. :lol: Thanks for posting the pictures with the story, most interesting. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

I have a 1950's 8N Ford tractor all tore up in the shop that I hope to reassemble and repaint when I retire. It may turn out to be a pathetic mess, but it will be better than it is now, that's for sure.

You have given me inspiration. <><

AJ

n/t

n/t