Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

well found need help

ace250hunter

Hey guys I have found a well on what was an middle to late 1800's plantation. THe opening to the well was covered with a refrigerator lid from the sixities and had barbed wire wrapped around some tress to prevent somone from falling in. Further investigation has revealed that there is water at about 15 ft what is the next best course of action in this situation. THanks in advance for the advice...

[size=large]Hello, Wells can be quite dangerous. I would suggest using a underwater camera. Bass Pro Shop sells them as well as Harbor Frieght. Harbor Frieght has had them on sale for as low as 89.99, thats when I bought mine. They come complete with 5" monitor, 60' cable, and LED lights around the lens, as well as a sealed 12v battery. Sixty feet should be plenty for a dug well. Never go alone when checking out a well and be careful! Hope this helps! It will sure save you a lot of time time otherwise, Tim[/size]

I agree with Ted DO NOT GO ALONE.I saw people use the underwater cams and then pull stonewear jugs out of the water.But with that much water in your well it would be a chore,but it would also be cool to see what was in it.I have one like that to in a spot we found,but we never tried any thing yet.
We dug wells in yards though, here is a shot of one that probed 30 feet.We filled it in after 15 (to narrow) and most wells do not produce a lot of bottles,so we don't do them.Privy's are where the glass is.

[attachment 84637 1152ndstbrickliner92307013.psd.jpg]

We have always thought of doing wells. We tried to design a claw system to dig out the dirt, without much success. It would break any bottles we would encounter. But it was a way of not getting down the well itself. Here in New England our houses are old. The few finds in a well might have been worth it. But all in all, I agree with Mr Seitz, that your energy is better spent digging privies and bottle dumps. Now if someone wants to get rid of the old well and lets you bobcat the side of it, that's a different story. Good luck though.