Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weighting a coil

grahamp

Can purchase a whites pi but with black buoyant coil, is it worth getting and weighing down artificially?

if your going in the water i think you need to weigh it down, i had one yrs ago with a black coil and it drove me mad everytime i dug a signal it floated up. if you cant find a weight as i am not sure if they make them now i have seen people put glass marbles down the lower stem. if i was you i would get a yellow divers coil

Thanks Steve, what I'm really asking I think you've answered in that it will never be as good as a dedicated coil.

I have to laugh when I think about "larry" the lizard!!and roughing it in old Benidorm.. I went flight only once early 90's and the only place to kip cheaply was an old camp-site out of town (don quiote) a fair old walk to the beach that was dry sand detecting. Oh how I wish I took to the water in them days.

you have a good memory, i still think there is more gold been lost than we will ever find so the stock pile just keeps building you just got to hit it right and hope you the first on it - i have only ever seen this thice in 17yrs. i have done the filight only and dont do it now as one time there was no room at the inn and i had to sleep on the bech with my case, not a good thing.

thebarnacle said:
i still think there is more gold been lost than we will ever find so the stock pile just keeps building

:thumbup:

Hi Graham, I'm now trying to sort out the very problem you're talking about. While scratching my brain, swinging the coil I suddenly realised that my coil cover on my PI PRO holds a lot of air because of the way it is raised from the centre of the coil. I trimmed the inner raised surface and stuck the cover back on with silicone.
The other thing I'm now doing is to make a mushroom shaped coil weight from resin that will sit inside the hollow coil shape (polo) and not fall through. Then I can have the best of both worlds, in and out the surf.
Happy Hunting All
Dark Mark

Hi darkmark, hope the conversion works out, let us know how you get on.

Hey guys! I saw somewhere, I don't think it was a dream. where folks solved that problem by putting water in clear vinly/plastic hose, and then sealing both ends. Attach that to your coil with plastic ties and you have a weight that is non metallic. It would take some experimenting to get the right amount of weight so the coil was slightly negative. Never tried it but in theory it should work. Jim

It won't work... specific gravity of the materials listed would only make it more buoyant... Sea water is 1.03, fresh water 1.00 and plastic varies but around .952 ... So actually you would be displacing more sea water with a materials of a lighter S.G. thus makin it float more...

I found that the easiest way to keep the coil under water is with a small bag (cloth or plastic) filled with sand and tied to the bottom of the shaft resting on top of the coil with either plastic tie wraps or just drapery cord.

The drapery cord or string is the best because you can open the bag and add or remove sand as you see fit. Since everything you are using is non-metalic there will be no interference with your detector.

It's simple, easy and it works. Happy Hunting!!!

get a peice of clear tubing/hose long enough to go around the top of the coils outer ring and a plastic hose coupling the type that has barbs to hold the hose push one end of the
coupling into the hose(if you heat the hose a little it will slide right on)fill the hose with sand/aquaraim gravel you can get it at kmart/walmart ect.leaving a little room for the other end of the barb
couping Now you should have a round ring of sand/gravel that has no effect on the detector but should be enough weight to keep your coil down underwater by tieing it to the coil with plastic wire ties
I call em zip strips/electrical ties the coil stays were it belongs and you can ajust it to your needs by adding another smaller ring or cutting it down to lighten it up