Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weekend prospecting trip (very long).

Aussie Chris

Hi all. Spent a great 3 days up bush prospecting, camping and having a generally good time. There were about 15 of us and we stayed at Ararat, the same place as last time (see first picture). I left early Thursday morning to spend a few hours at an old lake that we used to sail and swim at. It has reverted almost to the original river it is that low.

Well after 2 hours my take with the GTI 2500 was, 14,287 ring pulls. The rectangle ones, round ones, beaver tail ones. I was lucky every so often to get a sinker, bottle cap or some other piece of rubbish. Total coins for the day, 2 five cent pieces !! 10 cents for 2 hours work.

Anyway, I moved on to a place called Avoca, one of my happy hunting grounds from the 80's and pinged a bit almost straight away. When I put it on the scales, it would not even weigh it was that small ! Gold is gold I suppose. Then I moved on to the spot in Ararat where I got the bigger piece in the first photo, 3.6 grams. Almost straight away I pinged the bit with the brown ironstone on it. It weighs 5 grams (3.2 penny weights). That's a bit better. That was it for Thursday.

Friday I was keen to get back to the 5 gram spot. I spent most of the day on it and got another 12 bits (most of the small ones in the second photo) so Friday was good day also. Now the next day I decided to try a different spot and was walking up a line of diggers heaps picking a bit of rubbish here and there. I spent about an hour doing this when I pinged a small bit on the top of a diggers heap. I thought OK good, another one for the collection.

About 2 foot away I got a very faint reading and thought it would be another small bit of gold. I started digging down into white pipe clay with gravel in it, the stuff that gold is going to be in. I dug about 8 inches down and eventually got the target out. I made a couple of attempts to pick it up in the pile but kept missing ( I have ordered a Garrett prob). I eventually got it in my hand and straight away could feel the weight. I knew I had a decent bit of gold there. After a bit of a clean I could see the gold and I guessed at least 1/2 an ounce.

I was pretty stoked. Lucky no one else was around or it might have got up on you tube ! I went and showed some of the other blokes and they were happy. I then put it on the scales and it went 10 dwt 8 grains (16.2 grams), just over 1/2 and ounce. For the weekend I got 25 grams of gold or 15 dwt 22 grains. Over 3/4 of an ounce and worth A$900. Not to shabby and now I am looking forward to the next one.

HH Chris.

that looks like a very good day out Chris pity about the lake but with all those pull tabs in the ground there's gotta be some gold rings there somewhere.

Wow!!!

Nice, gold hunting must be a blast.

Good hunt on your part..
Nice gold...

Very nice pile of goodies bud. You done good. Guess that 2500 is working out for you huh. I'd sure like to get out somewhere and find some gooduns like that.

Bill

Congratulations Chis on an outstanding week-end. Half paid for the detector in one go. Pretty good.:thumbup:
One of the grey nomads at work has the 2500. He bought it to do coins and gold. I'll show him your post when he gets back to work next week. He leaves the week after that.
Actually. Your effort there is better than most do, regardless of the detector used.:detecting::csflag:
Mick Evans.

All found with the GTI 2500?

Great post. Great hunt. Who owns the land you are prospecting on? When are you planning on doing it full time?

Chris