Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weekend club hunt

Jeff Calzarette

I sponsored a two day club hunt and here are some pics. of my finds from Sunday. Canteen, 95 clad coins, Franklin half, four scout slides and of course Fart Spray...:rofl: jcalz

Outstanding! Those BF Halfs are actually quite rare...everybody thats been hunting for a long time will tell you that! :clapping:

Theres more Walker Halfs found than BF's for sure...truly a bucket list kind of coin..the Boyscout slides are too..'Fart spray' is not a bucket list find though, we generally supply enough of our own daily, nice and fresh and hot off the griddle so to speak! :rofl: Good Work and great post!:beers:
Mud

Mud, I think Fart Spray is a bucket list item. Everyone finds large cents, 1700's coins, silver, gold rings,flat buttons, etc. but how many people find fart spray that they did not make themselves. :rofl: I don't know of anyone who has found any. I was very excited about the BF it was hiding under a large rusty nail. If I had not rechecked my hole I would have missed it. I am glad you like my post.

Happy Hunting,
jcalz

Ok, pennies aren't clad (neither are nickels). Clad only applies to dimes, quarters and halves produced from 1965 to the present (and 40% silver Kennedys 1965-70), Susan-B-Agony and Ike dollars (not sack-o-jew-wee-ah). Its not the age, its how its made. U.S. clad coins have three distinct layers of metal bonded together under pressure. If its not made this way, its not clad! :nono:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cladding_(metalworking)

-pete

I guess I misspoke, modern coins not clad. If you want to correct me again I am not sure if you consider wheat pennies modern or not so I will say "coins". Thanks Pete for the scolding me. Just what I needed after a crappy day at work. :sad:

Jeff Calzarette said:
I guess I misspoke, modern coins not clad. If you want to correct me again I am not sure if you consider wheat pennies modern or not so I will say "coins". Thanks Pete for the scolding me. Just what I needed after a crappy day at work. :sad:

Sorry, man . . . I see it so much and usually I hold my tongue. :unsure: Sorry about your bad day - hope today is better! I won't scold you anymore - I promise. :sadwalk:

-pete

If the modern Junk Zinc pennies are not clad then just what the heck are they? 97% zinc with a thin (Clad) copper coat.

GeorgeinSC said:
If the modern Junk Zinc pennies are not clad then just what the heck are they? 97% zinc with a thin (Clad) copper coat.

The zinc pennies are electroplated - overall copper content is less than 1%. The copper coating is barely enough to make them look coppery which is why they go south so fast in the ground. Hunks of zinc are attached to the bottoms of boats so that when the inevitable electrolysis takes place, it is the zinc that gets eaten up instead of your propeller or the skeg on the motor. They call this a sacrificial anode - it gives its life to save other parts of the boat. Sacrificial anode has become my favorite term to describe the zincolns. :rofl:

When clad is made they use 3 sheets of metal of about equal thickness and roll them together under high pressure. This causes them to bond as if they were welded. In most cases the outer layers are mostly copper with just enough nickel to make them look silvery and the inner layer is pure copper. Its junky compared with the nice 90% silver coins we all love to find, but its high quality compare with what the zinc cents are made from. Cladding can be done with silver alloys too, as was done with some of the Kennedy halves in the late 60's. :nerd:

See what I was getting at in my post is that clad is not a synonym for junk, but a specific manufacturing process. We all love to hate clad, but honestly, there are worse things. The Canadians are making some of their coins out of steel with an electroplating - imagine what happens to those in the ground! :cry: (sorry Laurie)

-pete

:crylol: Everything was going along just fine until a metallurgist showed up!:rofl:

We can all be considered 'Sacrificial Anodes' in the scheme of life...slowly degrading and ultimately rotting away and returning to the earth... some faster than others depending upon the conditions!
Mud

Thank you Mudd. :clapping:

This would really be a fun subject to discuss together in a group setting over few beers! :clapping: Toss in some bratwurst with sauerkraut, and by gosh, THEN I'll show y'all some real fart spray!

Y'all make me laugh sometimes!:rofl: There sure are a lot of interesting humans hanging out here!
Mud

mudpuppy said:
:crylol: Everything was going along just fine until a metallurgist showed up!:rofl:

We can all be considered 'Sacrificial Anodes' in the scheme of life...slowly degrading and ultimately rotting away and returning to the earth... some faster than others depending upon the conditions!
Mud

Dude, you crack me up! :rofl:

-pete

Next thing you know we'll be eating limburger cheese sandwiches and drinking Huber beer:help: Nice finds Jeff---IB

IBdiggin said:
Next thing you know we'll be eating Limburger cheese sandwiches and drinking Huber beer:help: Nice finds Jeff---IB

I know Limburger cheese is known for its appalling stinkiness, but I could find a Wiki entry for Huber Beer . . . does it go with stewed goat? That's what I'm having for supper.

-pete

Huber beer was brewed in Monroe Wi. when I was a younger man. Green county was known as the swiss cheese capital of the world and the Huber beer was used to keep from getting constipated from all the swiss cheese if you know what I mean.------IB

Oh I don't hate Clad. I use the term to include all modern coins. They have face value but unlike silver or gold do not have any value above face.

While the Clad coins are not junk there are other things that I personally would like to find far more of.

I do not see the reason for your urinating in someones cheerios over the use of a word. Your Holier than Thou attitude hit me completely Wrong.

GeorgeinSC said:
Oh I don't hate Clad. I use the term to include all modern coins. They have face value but unlike silver or gold do not have any value above face.

While the Clad coins are not junk there are other things that I personally would like to find far more of.

I do not see the reason for your urinating in someones cheerios over the use of a word. Your Holier than Thou attitude hit me completely Wrong.

I get it George . . . wasn't tryin' to bum anybody out or ruin their breakfast. I'm not a fan of Cheerios but I'd like them even less with pee on them. :yikes: Saw something recently where the guy said that words don't have meanings (in the intrinsic sense) but they do have usages. Clearly in metal detecting there is a usage of the word "clad" that is a little broader than in coin collecting. I was a coin collector for a good 15 years before buying my first metal detector and my go-to book was (and still is) R.S. Yeoman's Guide Book of United States Coins (the red book) and this is the source I go back to for good info on how coins are made and from what materials. From where I was coming from it seemed like the word "clad" was widely misunderstood so I posted about the more narrow definition that coin collectors use to see what people thought about it. As my mom used to say "run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it". I reasoned that to some extent metal detectorists have to be coin collectors to understand and appreciate many of the things they find, Turns out people are happy with their usage of the word as it stands now and a change is not in order. I'm ok with that. Holy is not word I would ever use to describe myself and holier even less so - sorry if it came off that way. A persistent trait of engineers that non-engineers have trouble understanding and/or excepting is our need to be precise. Its just kinda built in - almost compulsive.

I guess I don't really hate clad either - its better than finding bits of lead flashing or the butt end of a shotgun shell and the quarters, at least, add up fast and are a welcome addition to my pouch. Is it ok to dislike the zincolns, though? :surrender:

Anyway, I won't bring it up again unless somebody asks a direct question.

Have a good night!

-pete