Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weekend Beach and Park Finds!

Q

Wife was out of town this weekend so I got to spend some quality time with my detector.

Headed out early to catch low tide at the beach, I was not too impressed with what I found farther out. Plus the beach staff had just finished up with the sand sifter. I hunted in all metal cross saved to coin and jewelry, and discriminated everything below zero. Clad farther out in the wet sand showed sings of corrosion of course but still rang true to normal readings and tones. Aluminum pieces were a pain showing as a good gold or the larger ones as good silver hits. The same for all the other items pictured Hot Wheels parts ID 38 high tone, brass shotgun casings ID 20 med/low tone, aluminum slag ID 38/39 high tone, other items just caught my interest.

I did better out in the unsifted dry sand and scored a 10K gold mens ring ID 20 solid med/low tone about four inchs down, also the clad was a bit cleaner here.

I met two other hunters at this spot, and stopped to talk to them for a while to compare finds. One was running an E-trak and the other a P.I. machine, I seemed to be ahead in finds but I had gotten there earlier, both are members of this site and were helpful in sharing knowledge. I still have not figured out which one of us had the best fish story.

I hit a beach farther north and tried the same settings with about the same results, except of course finding a gold ring. I did however score a silver ring ID 39 high tone two inches deep on the way out.

My last stop of the day was a small park which I used the same settings from the beach but decided to swap coils to my SEF 6X8. Sweeping the tot lot first hit some clad usual readings. Farther out I picked up clad which seemed to take a beating from fertilizer I suppose, and I found a small silver ring ID 39 high tone six inches deep. All other targets again gave good signal, but I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

All in all not a bad day swinging, now I just have to explain to the wife why I did not get all my chores done, oh well like I said we take the good with the bad.

[attachment 163721 Sringadj.jpg][attachment 163720 parkadj.jpg][attachment 163719 Beachringsadj.jpg][attachment 163718 Beachadjk.jpg]

Thanks for Looking, Good Hunting! Q

Thanks for sharing your finds today! You had a most impressive day!

Please tell us how you hunted in all metal and cross saved to coin and jewelry.
What is specifically involved in these steps. Many of us are not able to get Andy's book because
it is out of stock. Therefore, I know many of us appreciate what we can learn from you
and others who are in.

If you don't mind being more specific on the procedure .... that would be great!

Once again! Congrats on a great day!

Larry

Hi Larry,

"Cross Saving" will allow you to to select target ID icon on or off and the conductive or ferrous sounds you desire in a custom program. Sometimes the target icons can be distracting or have on relevance to your type of search. The conductive or ferrous tones are completely subjective to your personal preference while hunting.

You already know that the "Coin" and "Coin and Jewelry" factory presets have visual icons for various targets, these setting also incorporate conductive sounds. The "Relic" and "All Metal" modes do not use icons (due to the large scope of items you may run across, and the want to investigate most targets) and ferrous sounds. These particular preset configurations are fine for general hunting and you can customize the discrimination segments to suit your hunting style, time, or target preference "Cherry-Picking".

Once you have decided/developed a style you can further customise your settings by "Cross Saving". I usually begin my hunt by clearing my machine to factory specs (my personal little ritual I go thru) you can accomplish this by holding the power button for a few seconds during initial power-up until you see the "Factory Setting" message pop up on your screen.

In my case I will want to use conductive tones so I will select the "Coin and Jewelry" button, this will block out all below the foil range. Since I would rather learn to discriminate by sound, I find the target icons of no value to me, so I press and hold the "All Metal" button until I see the "Saved" message appear on the screen. I now have "All Metal" with conductive sounds except those targets below the foil range.

If I wanted to hunt with target icons in "All Metal" and ferrous tones, I would begin with the "All Metal" button, then depress the "Coin and Jewelry" button. This would set up the target icons, ferrous tones as a custom setting in the "All Metal" screen.

Other combinations are available using the "Coin" and "Relic" buttons as you may desire, I have only used the ones I described. Additionally you can still selectively discriminate other segments by using the "+and -" keys then depressing the "Accept/Reject" key.

All except the target icon control can be done from any preset program by just manipulating the discrimination settings as you desire. I like to use the "Cross Saving" shortcut to save time.

Definitely get Andy's book it is full of useful information, I have read mine so many times and still find it relevant to clarify some points (I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree). I believe a shop in the next city from me has a copy I can send the info if you like. I would post it but I do not know if the plug for the shop would upset anyone.

Hope this helps and I was not too confusing.

Good Hunting! Q

Wow. Thanks for all the info. I have never tried cross saving but I'm going to try it now.When your in ferrous mode will the silver still ring high tones.How about gold? I guess its easier to weed out the junk ? Mostly I hunt in coin and jewery.This Safari is turning out to be one great machine.Now if I could only stop detecting long enough to get some of my other work done!!
Have a great day all !

Hi Dave,

It is my understanding that you can picture ferrous tones as a big V, higher ferrous content higher tone, and higher conductivity higher tone. You can determine probability of the target by the ID number on the display. Conductive tones can be looked at as a forty five degree angle high ferrous content low tones, higher conductivity higher tone.

In my experience silver still rings high with an ID of 38 to 39 in either the conductive or ferrous tones. Now if I could just figure out how to tell silver from corroded pennies, aluminum slag/heavy fragments, and buried cans. They seem to give identical readings.

Even though I have pulled a couple of gold rings it has been elusive. During my air test gold seems to hit from 6 to 23 with a mid/low tone conductive or ferrous. I guess the varied readings depend on the size, shape, and gold content of the target.

The rings I found both sounded mid/low tone with an ID of 20. The 22K I found in 5-6 inches of moist soil in a park, the other 10K in 4 inches of highly mineralized dry sand. Adding to the confusion are the bottle caps, pull tabs, and small aluminum can fragments which can give the same readings.

Small gold (earrings) and gold chains also seem to give a difficult challenge, I

Thanks Q.. So. Cal. all right ! I'm in Pennsylvaina.Very lot of mineralized soil here.Going to try ferrous mode and see how it works.Talk to you again.