Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

weather...

tia

new to MDing. always looked at detectors and talked to people who had them but never had to money to put out for my own. finally bit the bullet- did a bit of research and found a Quick Draw II for around $100. recieved it yesterday, got batteries and off we went. hit the local elem school and found a couple of bucks in the recycled mulch (rubber tires). so i'm happy- the detector works :clapping:

the question--- does it matter about the weather? just as far as the actual detecting goes... does it matter if the ground is wet or bone dry? of course i would rather it be cloudy for my own comfort..:biggrin:

have enjoyed reading and gleaning all the knowledge!

tia

hi tia, and welcome to a great hobby and forum. yes, wet ground [not saturated] is best for detecting. it increases the conductivity of the targets in the ground, which makes it easier for your machine to find them. wtg on the couple bucks found, there's plenty more out there! hh,

Wet ground is sure easier to dig too!!! The dry ground around here can get as hard as rock.Welcome to a wonderful hobby. It just gets more consumeing and consumeing, but love every swing. May the gold and silver run thick for you.

Wet ground (if it squishes it is too wet), is the best for detecting...I like to go out a few hours after a good rain...This lets the water settle in the ground....Digging is easy, and the finds are more plentiful...Just remember that your control box is NOT water-proof...keep it dry. The coil and wire can get wet, but keep the plug and box dry....Tot lots for me are a good place to pick up some quick clad...Some have been known to produce the ocassional gold ring and such...Research is the key to success...As long as the site is older and accessible and you can get permission to hunt it, you should do well...Let us know how you do, and post your finds...

HH,

BH-LandStar

its the only one i know of that pays for itself.all the answers are very good ones as far as wet ground being best. a tip for hunting creeks that i recieved . when done hunting a creek DONT TIP DETECTOR UPWARDS with coil up. water may seep to the control box and drown your detector. just some food for thought. happy hunting and good luck out there. post your finds we love seeing them.

Right now, it is rough here in Texas. Ground is so dry and hard, you need a pick to dig, it make deep detection very difficult. I can't use my hand tool. It is so dry this afternoon. I went out for about an hour. There were cracks in the soil an inch to two inches wide. Did manage to find three quarters, ten dimes, six clad pennies and a gazillion tab top. Most finds were less than two inches down.