Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

we want bigger coils:help:

OE6ODD

Minelab wake up:shrug:al X-Terra users need bigger coils vor Fields and Grasland.DD Coils 15x12 :clap:
Bert regards from Austria
OE6ODD

Buy a GPX-4500.
Plenty of larger coils available from third-party manufacturers for that baby and it works well on the grasslands and fields for relics and coins.

Larger coils on an X-Terra would probably result in less soil penetration and a nose-heavy detector.
If you have specialized detecting needs (higher sensitivity at greater depth on a larger coil), you'll have to move up to a more exotic model.

A 15x12 would probably have to be so light and "open faced" like the 10.5" coil (to avoid making the X-Terra nose-heavy) that you'd need to skimp on quality materials. Such lightweight and open faced coils tend to flex when you bump a rock etc and trigger a false signal if the coil wire shifts position. That's why the detectors using larger coils usually require a harness rig with a suspension cord to offset the weight.

I have a GP 3000 with a NuggetFinder 25" SL mono, 20" SL XP DD, and CoilTek 20"x40" DD. Yes you are right Nero BUT very poor discrimination and I would be picking up all sorts of trash and junk looking in farmers Fields and Grassland. Maybe the GPX 4500 has much better discrimination than my GP 3000 ??

Yes a 15"x12" from Minelab OR release the rights of the patented chip to a aftermarketer(like Detech or CoilTek) to make a coil, for a cut(%) in the profits. I have contacted Minelab in Australia and told them I want a bigger coil for the(my) X-Terra 70. Does not look like they will but they will keep my suggestion on file. My number one choice in size would be a 12"x24" or a 8" or 10"x24". Maybe a 8" or 10"x18" as well is also a good size. Think about even a lightweight (full)8"x18" DD(elliptical or rectangular) would be great for fast coverage in large Fields and Grassland !!

(I already have DOC's Swingy Thingy and also the Swing Eze is made too just in case or put Minelabs "bow knuckle" on the shaft and use a bungee on it only if necessary.)

My solution to the big coverage problem was to buy a Musketeer Advantage and I am going to get a CoilTek 15" WOT DD for it. There is a WOT made for the Eureka Gold as well. I thought about getting an MXT or DFX with a 15"x12" SEF(also a 18"x15" is made too) or a F75 with a 15"x12" SEF as well. BUT NOT a BBS or FBS machine because they search very, very slowly and defeats the whole purpose of using a large coil for the most coverage in a day in farmers Fields-homesteads-Grassland.

My two-bits.

n/t