Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

We still have Covered Wooden bridges here in CT.

George-CT

Thought you might like to see a few of them and a little timeline on them. Most of them are over pretty decent trout streams also. I enjoy fly fishing around them.
Hard to have a bad day when your fishing, and have a nice scene there next to you.

Here is a little link to the history on them, very short but interesting. http://www.past-inc.org/historic-bridges/covered-bulls.html

George-CT

I think that there may be a few up in East Texas, but not sure. Most of the ones that I have heard about were up in Yankee Land, but I have seen pictures of them on Christmas cards. This is a very interesting subject and I plan on exploring the subject on Google first free time that I get. Thanks for posting this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Mont Pelier VT a few years ago. I know of none in Michigan.

Just a question though..... why were they covered?

Calm seas

Mikie

my last name on it that I want to get up and see. Its right near VT-Dave, fact he put a cache near it for me to find. Here is a link to all of them in Vermont with great pictures. One of the Worrall one also. That one is on my list come nice weather. I want to see the bridge, the cache, and VT Dave.

Here is the link... http://www.pbase.com/nescenicimages/crossing_beauty

George-CT

It protected the flooring and mostly the framework from the weather. I'm guessing with the moisture from the river under and the rain on top, just exposed they had a short life. Covered they did better. These bridges in the winter had a bridge tender also who would spread snow on the flooring in the winter for the sleighs to cross on. I guess one reason may have been they are pleasing to the eye. Sure make great postcard pictures.

Late this year, I'll take a few closeups of some around here. We have one about 10 miles from here thats really nice. I'll be there in April for opening day of trout season.

Geo-CT