Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

We raised Red Brangus Cattle on our ranch: photos and some tibits...............

Kelley (Texas)

Red Brangus cattle is a Texas based breed that originated in South Texas during the 1930's. The breed was started with crossing Black Angus cows with Gray Brahman bulls. Folks like Red Brangus cattle because they can tolerate the South Texas heat and their birth weights are low, usually around 65 to 70 pounds. The low birth weight helps reduce the loss of a heifer giving birth for the first time. While small at birth, they gain weight fast and are easy keepers.

There are several things to consider in owning a ranch: You must fit the cattle to the land, you must maintain good pastures, provide a source of safe drinking water, and must have good fences.

We raised Red Brangus cattle because they were a medium size cow and fit the land. About 75 per cent of our pasture area consisted of Coastal Bermuda grass, the rest being native grass. We had lots of cross fences because I am a strong believer of rotating the cattle on a regular basis. We also cut our own hay for feeding the cattle during the winter.

Photo #1: This is the original drive way to the old ranch house that was originally built in the 1920's. We later put in a nice gravel road to the house.

Photo #2: This is a photo of some of the cows coming through a gate when rotating them from one pasture to another.

Photo #3: This is a photo of a group of Red Brangus cows with some calves. We tried to keep the cows in a group consisting of twenty five cows and one bull. If the bull was young, we would keep that group to only fifteen cows.

Photo #4: This is a photo of a Red Brangus calf.

Photo #5: This is a photo of a large two acre stock tank that we dug. It was twelve feet deep at the dam side. It had not completely fill up with water when I took this photo. Later, we stocked the stock tank with catfish and brem fish. We had seven more stock tanks similar to this, all stocked with fish. During extreme dry periods, many times we would be one of the few ranches that had water. We never had to sell cows because of lack of pasture or water.

Photo #6: This is one of our holding pens where we would weigh the calves at approximately six months of age. We also used this pen to hold the cattle for loading into a trailer. The scale is to the front right of the photo. The barn in the back ground was used to store winter hay.

I have many more photos, but I just posted these six photos to give you an idea of what our ranch was like. Hope that you enjoyed them. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Note: Photo #5 and #6 are reversed, sorry.

that helped you do all this? Very interesting and the land looks gorgeous. Did you sell the cattle? :)

and all the neighbors helped each other. Our ranch was not big enough to afford to hire a full time employee very often. Yes, we sold the calves and any cow that did not produce. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Probably the best time of my life was on the ranch in the fifties. A different world then, not easier for sure but more healthy, simple, and satisfying.
We also had to have stock tanks (we called them "dugouts") as we were in semi desert country.
Please keep the pics coming, they are a real pleasure to see!
Wayne

We have open range up here and the cattle go up on the top for the summer. In the fall, they find their way down home and it is quite a sight to see the tourists trying to figure out how to navigate through a herd of cattle all over the road.

The really funny part is that we saw a tourist who was going to 'move' a bull [a 2000-2,500 pound one at least] out from the road where he was sunning himself. This chap was going to get out of his car, and push the bull off the road. We 'suggested' that it might be better if he just drove around. :)

Sunny skies

M

sandy there?i remember what a shorthorn and brahman are,they taught us that in texas history at school.i guess angus do better in cooler weather.

Also, Black Angus cattle are also very popular down here. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

Small ranches will operate without a large payroll, they get things done in trade or by sharing. When it came time to cut and bale the hay, we had a man come to the ranch and do it for us...he received 40% of the bales of hay as payment. We only had to haul our share of the hay to the barn and stack it. When the fall calf sale season arrived, all the neighbors helped each other round up the calves. I would handle small fence repairs, but if we had to replace large sections of fence, then we would hire someone to help us do it. We also had equipment like tractors so that we could move round bales by ourselves, or dig post holes.

Our ranch was small when compared to the mega ranches...we only had 624 acres and generally around 110 cow/calf units. I only had to ride fence a few times a month and could do it in less than a day. Tuff was my favorite horse when riding fence, a fun horse to ride. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)