Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

We had a 5 inch rain storm here in the last 24 hours.

George-CT

I got out with the camera and took a few shots of a glacial area on the property that gets interesting when we get this much rain and the brook gets above ground in this area of glacial rubble. All these rocks were left here from that. I can hear this brook really great right now. Its only about 200 yards down over the hill here and really sounds great.

#1 is the brook getting above ground instead of running all under these rocks as it head to where the brook is right on the surface. The lower part of it has native brook trout in it. I have always hoped a wayward beaver would dam it up for me so I could swim there in the summer. Dams around these parts need to be engineered dams on anything over 2 acres. Beavers can do what they like.... These are a little larger than I normal send them up but sure better detail, like the moss on the rocks etc. This is the upper end of the rubble pile.

#2 is the lower section of the same rock pile that then starts to form my pond I was talking about. Really a nice spot.

#3 is the lower pond, wide brook that I would like to put a dam in down lower.

#4 is some of the glacier rubble left over. You wonder how they ever farmed this area. Then you see all the stone walls all over and know what they did with them.
They go down pretty deep. I can dig in spots with my backhoe and get 50 ton of rocks and a cup of dirt. Other areas, are fine.

#5 is one of my logging roads going down off the hill behind my house. You can see the brook in the distance running down the hill. Normally or in summer its all under the rubble. Makes great sounds. We cut this trail so we can drive the jeep down to the waterfall. We used to take Janes mom down there for picnics. Pretty area. There is a big glacial cut down there that runs about 500 feet in length and is about 50 feet in depth. Neat area.....Ice left over from winter will stay until late June, and in the caves much later. Nice and cool to walk thru it. I will get pictures of it to show you.

#6 and last is a shot of my house as I was coming back up that logging trail. Jane and I built it 25 years ago for a retirement home. Did the outside with the vynl so I would not have to paint in my old age, best thing I ever did. We ran it vertical so it would look a little like wood. That long sloping roof is a cathedral roof. Its all open on the inside for the living room, and Dinning room. Looks nice inside but 22 foot high ceilings have their draw backs. I was going to put solar collectors on that roof on that side, but after the heart attack, sold them. Very steep pitch. The front that you can't see is 2 story with balcony's across the top. Great views off the bedrooms. What was going here was a log home, but once I had the cellar concrete walls poured, they told me I could not go two stories with logs on a 8 inch wall. Would of been nice if they told me 2 weeks earlier before I formed and poured it. So we found this in a book that fit our cellar measurments. Its a full walk out basement. Makes it easy to do the wood, and less mess all over the place. We built it in the center of the property a 1/2 mile off the road. Nice and peaceful back there.

So there you have my day in the woods.

George-CT

n/t

was a clear stream through the property like that! Wonderful:thumbup:
Mike is also fortunate like you and has a beautiful stream with trout in it also.

n/t

was like that. Fact your entire area really gets my attention when I see your pictures and the wildlife. You living the good life Mike.
Have you used your cabin yet?

Geo-CT

helping with the Cabin. I worked building log houses for a year or so and really enjoyed it! What a sense of accomplishment you and Alice must be enjoying! :thumbup::thumbup:
Dang snow now:cry: (whine) :biggrin:

Snowed like a son of a gun all yesterday.. so much so that even Wayne got some... and that is unusual. Going to fire up the bobcat [actually a case 1845c] and clear driveways first thing this morning.

But I find your area just wonderful George. Those beautiful trees and the colours in the fall...... Gorgeous.

Calm seas

Mikie

it so reminds me of Northern Ontario where I used to go fishing. Just beautiful!

We were expecting freezing rain last night but it snowed. I got home from the pub and there was one of those small deer on my deck looking in the doorwall. Turkey do that and I throw some corn on the deck for them, they have not been around since the deep snow. They prefer to walk and the deep snow slows them down a bit. The deer was up there getting their corn.

We have two days coming above freezing, it is 32 degrees right now and then on Tuesday it is going into the teens again. Man I am half temped to hit the river in a few days. With all this snow and rain and thawing temps the river will be high, fast and clear. Perfect conditions.

Love your pictures buddy:thumbup: