Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wayne's story about fishing brought up something interesting.......................

Kelley (Texas)

You folks up North and in Canada are lucky you have Night Crawler Worms. I hear tell that you walk out in the back yard, shine a flashlight on them, and then easily catch them. We have to dig for our fishing worms down here and they are not as big as the Night Crawler Worm. What do the Night Crawlers do in the winter, hibernate? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have caught many thousands of them on the golf course when I was a kid, now I just buy them. It is back breaking for an adult. I used to keep a leaf pile for redworms.

The crawlers are easy to find but you gotta be quick some times, unless they are doubled up. Then they are slow, as we are when we are doubled up. :D

I have caught as high as 500 in a night. I remember seeing Teddy eat a crawler for a half a buck too. Those were the days....

Water the lawn for a while in the evening, then wait for night time, and we went out there with flash lights and coffee cans. The night crawlers would be up and halfway out of their holes. You had to step gently or they would pop back in! Sometimes you would get two "lovebird" worms wound up together and two at once!:tongue:Yuk. But we would usually get half a coffee can full at least!

grab a whole knot of em? :lol:

just get kind of dormant. We seldom get much frozen ground and can get them even in winter by digging under old compost or even just in the garden.
Some folks who sell them place metal rods in the ground and run a weak electrical current through and the worms pop out of the ground in droves:lol:

with a wooden stake pounded into the ground, and the stake has a bunch of notches cut into the side, then you take another stick and strum the notches kinda, the vibration is supposed to bring them out? I never tried that one.:shrug:

pouring water and bleach on some ground one time to kill the weeds before laying down fabric, those big wigglers came out of the ground instantly! They were no good for bait tho......it kinda killed em:biggrin:

n/t

nothing like the old and foolish I now am, I hooked a transformer to a small wire fence my mother had around her flower bed, and watered the soil around it. I plugged in the power and those suckers came out a flying. I did not dare get near it.

I unplugged it and gathered the worms. Worked great but I killed the dang things. I guess I sould have paid a bit of attention to the voltage.

Soapy water will bring them out too

n/t

You folks make it sound like you had to grab them quick or they would escape...surely they can not move that fast? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

never had seen any gophers around here but the last couple of years their mounding up everywhere,don't know how you can spot or drive them from those runners they make but if there's a way i could pop them with a pellet gun.

...when even when you DID grab 'em you had to hold on for a few moments until they became tired. Then they'd relax and you could get another inch or so out before they'd swell up and grab a hold of their little tunnel wall with those bristly hairs they have near the tail called setae. Then you just hold on and do it again until finally OUT it would pop!

If there had been a nice heavy rain, us kids would just walk along the sidewalk and curbs and pick them up out of the standing water where'd they washed in. They come up out of the ground in a heavy rain so they don't drown. But a few always ended up stuck on the pavement when the rain stopped.

By the way, that's how Robins and tortoises catch worms...same as us kids! :D

Those were the best for getting worms. If you could get an old phone, and then get the crank apparatus out of it, you were the king of the neighbourhood. Just take a wire from each side of the crank, put them into the ground and then turn the handle. It always worked.... no digging!! :)

calm seas

M

n/t

in a phone booth in Whith River Ontario in the early 60's

The crank phones will drive the worms out of the ground, I have read.

they can also be used to "boil" up any fish that has whiskers. It temporarily paralizes them; enough to get a dip net under them. Very illegal where I live, but in days gone by, the old timers would do about anything for food.

Lil Brother:)

He had a long piece of #12 insulated wire on a polorized plug hooked to the "Hot" pin. The other end was soldered to a 2' piece of brass brazing rod. After a good rain, he used to stick the rod in the middle of his lawn next to the garden and plug it in. Every worm in a 10' circle would come right up on the surface. Had to make sure you unplugged it before you went to pick em up though! :lol:

n/t