Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Waynes ice post brought back a couple of memories. Here is the first. Stll working on the secod. I will take a bit to get that story together..

Micheal_R

Staff member
So a while back, oh in the early 90s, my best friend and I , who I have mentioned a time or two in regards to diving exploits, had gotten a little too much into our cups with a wee dram o' rum. This would be around this time of year and Davey Denton, my bud, and I were feeling no pain. Dave says theat he has to stop with the rum since he had to go out to Sooke, to the Boy Scout camp, the next day as there was a camp being held. There were scouts from all over the island and the maimland who were learning the fine art of winter survival, snowshoing and all of the winter and snowtime activities that the scouts had to learn.

Now Dave was a scout master at this time and he was having a real problem getting the scouts interested in rescue application..... most especially as it applied to water rescue. For some reason, these boys either would not, or could not, wrap their heads around the idea of a water safety course, or water rescue. He told the boys to stay off the frozen lake, but all of his warnings and cajoling was to no avail. They still insisted on going out, either skating, hiking or just being. He wondered just what we could do to impress upon these kids the dangers of the ice on the lake. It was , after all, not that thick.

I blurted out something to the effect that if one were to go through the ice, then they would learn. However, that did not seem to be a very good idea until I suggested that perhaps, I could fall through for them. It would scare them, and perhaps, they could learn a bit of rescue work as well. "Would you do that?" Of course I would. If it even saved one life, and perhaps helped instill in only one of their minds the basic survival skills, it would be worth it. And so we set the plan in action.

I would go out onto the lake, pretending to be an ice fisherman, and I would fall through the ice. They would see this happening and learn just how thin the ice could be, and then, 'rescue' me. Sounds good right?? Well, It actually sounded good and so, the next morning, I went out, found a likely spot and weakened the ice with a hammer. At the appropriate time, with the group on thew shore, I started to 'chop' my hole into the ice to set up my rod. Right on cue, the ice broke and down I went.

Oh, by the way, did I happen to mention that I had my wet suit on under my clothes?? I may be a bit crazy, but not that bad. Still very cold but only for a few seconds! :) So I thrashed around, made all of the appropriate noise, cried for help a few times, and the scouts got a first hand lesson in ice rescue.They brought out the ladder, fed it across the ice to me, whereupon I gratefully clambered to safety, all the while expressing my thanks and profuse regrets for 'losing' my rod down the hole.

Dave said that it was the best demonstartion ever, and from then on, weather and ice permitting, we pulled this stunt. To the best of my knowledge, those same scouts are convinced, to this day, that they pulled off a real rescue!!

Sunny skies

M

:rofl: you know how to outsmart kids!
I used to pass by that camp on my way to the Leech river to go goldpanning. It has been there forever, a friend of mine says he was there in the fifties. Did you ever detect that area? Betcha did:biggrin:

I did do the lake, but my detecting buddy Mac, well I left the grounds for him. He did pretty well too.

Did you ever try Minute Creek? I got my best nugget from there..

clam seas, fair winds

m

and wearing that wet suit was a purty smart idea too! Have you seen the new cold water rescue suits? In the town where I used to live, there is a reasonable sized lake. In the spring, they sometimes get someone who falls through on a snowmachine or such. The fire dept. invested in two suits. Pretty pricy if I remember but worth every penny.

Dave

n/t

to avoid the sudden chill of the ice water going under the wet suit I would always pour warm water on my body as I was pulling on the suit. With the layer of warm water already there you do not even feel the ice water.

I might have mentioned it before but there was a bunch of us going out to Union Lake for an Ice Dive. I had mentioned this trick to a newbie. He asked his wife to fill a thermos full of warm water for the dive, not bothering to tell her what it was for.

He gets out there and pulls on his bottoms and grabs the thermos and dumps in some water. He starts a jumping around and squalling. The water was scalding and burned the heck out of him.

His wife thought it was going to be used for Tea, after the dive it seems but it was not to be. He did not dive that day and was pretty well scalded..

n/t

n/t

shock a lot of calories out of the bod though. Calories you need later in the dive. I have come out and could not even talk until I got a couple hot coffees down!

Ouite an experience. Been there and done that and it would take more than sight seeing for me to bother any more!!