Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Waterproof headphone Poll.

Dan(NM)

I'm in the process of moving to Texas this year and will be near some lakes and rivers instead of the desert wastelands of NM. Is there a pair of headphones that have risen to the top of the heap as far as volume, sound quality and built quality? I do not want to waste my money on the process of elimination if there is a pair that the majority of seasoned water hunters agree upon. Thank for you input!!

Just a thought. There is a new set of Gray Ghost that are out and they are without the Volume control on them which is actually good because one less place for water to get in and there is a possibility that without the volumes control (a potentiometer) which is resistance a restriction in the circuit and could possibly lower the volume just a tat. But that is not a certain. The new ones are Gray Ghost Amphibian 2 ‘s
Actually you don’t need the volume on them because you have one built into the NOX.

Doug

I have the GG 2s and they're wonderful but had to return first pair for repair a few months later. Quick return but haven't tried them since. You should consider a pair of Bluetooth wireless earbuds for the 800. LOT CHEAPER, like $25! See discussions here on topic. Waterproof and low latency and wireless is the way to go as long as the 800 control unit is above water (Bluetooth won't work if control unit is underwater). If you plan to go deeper get the GGs. But if you're hunting in the Summer sun in the south, earbuds are the way to go.

I have a pair of the LS Pelso waterproof headphones as well. Volume is very good and prob better than the GGs. Also about $30 cheaper. Had the LS Pelso headphones about a month in Gulf when they went bad (connector) and were quickly replaced by Kellyco. But haven't used them since in water.

I have the new Gray Ghost. I've used them twice and they are waterproof. Was hunting in water above my waist to chest deep, they got soaked for sure.
I'm satisfied with the sound but I don't like the way the wire is sticking out but I can live with it.
Checkout some pictures of them to see what I'm talking about

Dan...I’ve seen posts about the Tony E phones being the top of the heap on about every level, but they might be the most expensive too. It seems like everyone’s running for the water all of the sudden! What’s up with that?!:)

I've had a bunch of them. Tony E's are the best IMO. Perfect balance of volume and comfort. They are good enough I had him make me pairs for the other machines I have.

IDXMonster said:
Dan...I’ve seen posts about the Tony E phones being the top of the heap on about every level, but they might be the most expensive too. It seems like everyone’s running for the water all of the sudden! What’s up with that?!:)

From what I can gather Texas is infested with metal detectorist, unlike NM :) I figure my odds are better in the rivers and lakes, but, I may be in for a rude awaking :blink:

Very happy with my Tony E headphones.. I can still hear them while diving too...

Hi all.
My Explorer SE pro has given up the ghost again, not bothering getting it repaired again so I sold a few finds to purchase an Equinox 800, I have finished reading the 86 pages in the user manual so I am ready to start detecting.
As I am in the Cornwall and as we have over 300 beaches within about an hours drive most of my detecting is done on beaches especially in the winter when it gets very rainy.
Just a question what are GG 2's as they seem to be a good idea for my use but have no idea what they are or where they are available from?

There is an advantage to having a volume control on the phones.......you dont restrict the weak signals like you would doing it at the machine. However, that if its salt water you best spray and turn the knob occasionally. I use Tony Es as well because i know you can snorkel with them without them going south. They have very good volume..... and im told Tony provided info on the GGA 2s. After market water phones have come a long way. Most are using good piezos and sealed well. Speakers have better volume thou and are a better suit for these machines. If you dont plan on getting them wet and you are talking fresh water......mod a pair of your dirt phones with speakers. Easy to do the connector.

JAN1 said:
Hi all.
My Explorer SE pro has given up the ghost again, not bothering getting it repaired again so I sold a few finds to purchase an Equinox 800, I have finished reading the 86 pages in the user manual so I am ready to start detecting.
As I am in the Cornwall and as we have over 300 beaches within about an hours drive most of my detecting is done on beaches especially in the winter when it gets very rainy.
Just a question what are GG 2's as they seem to be a good idea for my use but have no idea what they are or where they are available from?

"DetectorPro" Gray Ghost Amphibian II .I love mine did not care for the first version with the volume control.The Amphibian II's seem to be louder and have a better tone for my ears

Good thread. Save people money and weed out the bad.

Quality accessories and comfort are just as important to me as the detector. Headphones....scoops.... diggers......And my favorite accessorie of all....A five dollar Chinese hip bag to put my finds in. When it rots I get a new one. Very comfortable. Oh my man purse. I love it. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Headphones need to be loud and comfortable. Very few get it right. If you have a pumpkin head you might not agree with the reviews.

I owned the blue Garrett under water set which works great for me so I kept them and put a 1/4 plug on the end and they work great on the NOX no problem a all and I saved a few hundred ucks too

IDXMonster said:

Not only that ....... more are digging GOLD while dirt hunting. I think the Nox has opened a lot of eyes as to what was missing....... and areas not thought of hunting before.... like the fresh water.

ringading said:
JAN1 said:
Hi all.

"DetectorPro" Gray Ghost Amphibian II .I love mine did not care for the first version with the volume control.The Amphibian II's seem to be louder and have a better tone for my ears
I should have known about them as I still have two Detector Pro Waders one still with the Blue stem.

I use the Tony E headphones. They are VERY comfortable with excellent sound quality. I can wear them all day at the beach or lake. Also the build quality is excellent.