Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Water hunting , car keys

Donut

When you water hunt how are you keeping your car keys.
Today mine were in a zip lock bag in my pocket, Guess what.......they stiygot wet

Here is what I use. These come with Megallan shirts I buy at Academy. They are heavy duty and have a double seal.

Buy a FORD, with combo pad on the door. If the vehicle does not come with on the door, you can have one put on. No hole or wires necessary, it is a stick on accessory at the Ford dealer. I have only bought a Ford to transport me and my detecting equipment since 1992. Now all I have to do is remember the combo, if I take someone with me, I give them the combo and no need to carry a key into the water. Leave you key and valuables locked up in the vehicle. One of my Fords had a safe under the floor mat...neat idea.

Only problem with the waterproof "safes", freezer bags, and the like if that IF you do not expel the air and tie the bag to your goodies pouch, it with your key, ID or what ever is in the bag may just "float out" of the pouch. You say no way? Try going to Cancun and use a baggie to keep your room key and a few bucks dry. Then, while chest deep, see the baggie floating away. It happened to Ken, he ditches his detector and scoop yelled to me and started swimming... He was lucky!

I know I will be is much more trouble if I ever see my vehicle floating away.

So I guess I’ll have to use two sandwich bags because I want to fit in my pocket.

Thank you . I’ll have to go to Walmart and see what you are talking about , do you know what department ? Fishing

My Kia has keyless ignition via the electronic fob..the fob has a mechanical detachable door key...my dilemma is that the electronic fob prevents the car doors from locking if left in the car but I don’t want to risk $250 loss if the fob gets wet so I have to wrap the fob in aluminum foil and stick it in a metal can with a lid on it so I can leave it in my vehicle without the anti door lock feature detecting it then I just take the mechanical door key with me on a carribeaner...

Thanks that’s a really good idea , I already have a spare key hidden on my car because of the poor design of the key lock system , when I open the door from the inside and pull the handle my wrist hits the lock button and locks with even the keys inside. That’s been.done one two many times. When I use a dummy key to unlock the door the alarm goes off, I can’t win.

Donut said:
Thanks that’s a really good idea , I already have a spare key hidden on my car because of the poor design of the key lock system , when I open the door from the inside and pull the handle my wrist hits the lock button and locks with even the keys inside. That’s been.done one two many times. When I use a dummy key to unlock the door the alarm goes off, I can’t win.
. Lol..that’s too funny....I always use to hide a key on my cars..saved my butt more than once...

K thanks I’ll be going there tomorrow

Where from , looks nice

The name says it all. It is expensive, but so is replacing a keyless fob. As for hide a key? Yeah.....right. Not if you keep equipment in your vehicle. A real criminal knows where your hide a key is.

There is an entire league of testers out there for water hunters. They are called surfers. Watch and use what they use.

I will add that I use silicone waterproof tape wrapped around the outside to secure the clips. My fob works through the device. It only has to be on the person to open the door and in the vehicle to operate it. So once I place the fob in the device it stays in for the entire trip. Sometimes a week.

This one is from the UK. There is a competitor out from Germany that looks very good.

Put it this way. I spent quite a bit of time researching this one Winter. The price of replacing of a fob is only part of the equation. Being stranded is also a part of it. I have parked in some isolated parking lots a long way from anywhere. And a dealer to make a new fob could be quite a pain to find.

I have a spare key and use a boot lace and wear the key around my neck and don't carry my keys to the beach. the bootlace won't break or slip off your neck.

Here's a good one for you...go to a store with a swimming trunk department and look for 'Speedo' swimwear (long loose shorts) and they come with a fantastic waterproof plastic baggie inside! True Story I swear (picked up a few at the "Marshall's" store in Sarasota, Fla...

Ok thanks But.. I don’t think anyone would want to see me in a Speedo, lol