Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Water hunt yesterday...with a scoop!

douglaskc

Did my second water hunt with my Tiger Shark...but the first with a long handled scoop from Nutall.

I hunted at an older freshwater small lake beach. Didn't find whole lot, some clad quarters, pennies, sinkers and other junk. But it was neat learning how to hunt in the water and using a scoop effectively.

It sure is different digging. Since the water was pretty murky it seemed like I was always "off" on my digging. It took me two or three scoops to figure out where the object was. And stuff seemed like it drifted away or fell off the top of the scoop quite a bit. I'm sure I'll get better with more practice.

I did find a beat up old beer can from Frankenmuth Brewery "Harmony" beer. A little research shows this was probably from the 50's. I found it in a section that I'm thinking is the oldest part of the beach so I'm going to focus on there next time I go out and dig everything!

Thanks for listening....

Doug

It took me about 3 trips to get used to the long handled scoop. Now when I find my target I put my foot next to the coil, move the coil, put the scoop next to my foot and start scoopin'. I usually get it on the first try now unless it is something deep or small and it keeps falling thru the holes in the scoop...d2

I use my foot to pin point also it works quite well.like wise I use the nuttall scoop-the best on the market for my money. the front of foot should be behind target-set scoop ontop of foot slide forward and dig-keep practicing you'll get it.make a few dry runs on shore to perfect your techneque

Got to be some good old stuff in that lake...Is the nutall marked so if you are in murky waters you know when it is pointing directly forward? Watch my Video on hunting the Florida gulf, the water is clear at 2 places you can see me PP, then lining up to dig .............good Luck. Obn

d-2 said:
It took me about 3 trips to get used to the long handled scoop. Now when I find my target I put my foot next to the coil, move the coil, put the scoop next to my foot and start scoopin'. I usually get it on the first try now unless it is something deep or small and it keeps falling thru the holes in the scoop...d2

That's good advice about " next to".... I kept trying to put my foot just behind the coil so of course when I moved my foot to put the scoop down i would end up in the wrong place.
Thanks!

woodwizard said:
I use my foot to pin point also it works quite well.like wise I use the nuttall scoop-the best on the market for my money. the front of foot should be behind target-set scoop ontop of foot slide forward and dig-keep practicing you'll get it.make a few dry runs on shore to perfect your techneque

Another technique I'll try. The Nutall is pretty hefty all right. The bottom of this lake was pretty full of clay at some parts and I sometimes put alot of pressure on that thing to scoop and it held up really well.

Doug

OldBeechnut said:
Got to be some good old stuff in that lake...Is the nutall marked so if you are in murky waters you know when it is pointing directly forward? Watch my Video on hunting the Florida gulf, the water is clear at 2 places you can see me PP, then lining up to dig .............good Luck. Obn

It's kind of marked in that the grips finger holes are facing forward when the scoop is. As long as the grip doesn't shift. Thanks for the video...I'll look it up!

Doug

i used to put my foot behind the coil and have switched to beside it, cause i got tired of buying new water shoes after i cut the toes all to pcs with the tip of my scoop, not to mention my poor little piggies!!!! with my foot beside the scoop this no longer happens, atleast to me.

steve :)