Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Water detector

HISTORYDIGGER

I am looking to Get a waterproof detector. I am looking for a good allround type detector will be using this as a main detector parks, sandlots, playgrounds lakes,river landing and Gulfcoast beaches. I am looking at 4 possible units Fisher CZ20, Minelab Excaliber, Tesoro Tigershark, detectorpro Headhunter diver. Which the Headhunter has the advantage of being handy and light.
so which should I choose.

I will cast my vote for the Excalibur. And I say that because I feel it is the most capable waterproof machine of the ones you list AND, since it's essentially a waterproof Sovereign, would be an equally adept land machine. And the fact that it lacks a meter (which the Sovereign has) would only be a slight detractor. Because none of the water machines has a meter and with the variable tone ID of the Excalibur, it would offer the most in terms of discrimination and target identification out of the machines you list. Or any water machine. And learning the tones is not hard. So although it's not my first choice for a land machine, it's the best choice for a water machine that will double as a land machine.

I pwn the Tesoro Tigershark and am very please with is and the service I have received from them. The Tesorohas a lifetime warranty and is at a good price range. I am sure the Minelab is probably a better unit but the cost is to much for my budget. The Tigershark will pick up at great depths and can even detect small chains with no problem. Hope this helps.

I own and have used both a DetectorPro Wader and a Minelab Excalibur. The DP is an excellent machine for the money. Lightweight and easy to use. I went to an Excalibur because of the high amount of trash in the water where I hunt. In my opinion, you need to decide how much you want to budget and also take into consideration the amount of trash in the areas you want to hunt. If the beaches are clean, then a DP or possibly a Whites (I have no experience with them) will do the trick. If the beaches are full of trash and you want to be able to discriminate better, the Excal will not disappoint once you learn it.

The only negative is that it really eats the batteries. Two 9 vols are supposed to last about 12 hours but I change them every 8 or 9. Tried rechargeable batteries and only got 3 hrs before the detector started acting erratically. I really like the light weight of the unit and it takes a little while to learn how to pinpoint. HH and good luck in whatever you decide.
therick

I was personally thinking of the tesoro tiger shark or the Fisher 1280-x
(as I will be doing fresh water). I was also contemplating coil size as well,
the 8.5 or the 10.5.
Another words I am seeking answers myself. Good luck. Jeff

The Cz20 and Excal will be your best choices. The Tiger Shark and HH wader chatter in salt water. A PI is good for the beach but you will dig to much iron when ground hunting. The Disadvantage of the CZ20 is steel caps come up as the gold tone. The Excal will give you the best depth and coverage. The biggest thing is the 8 or 10 inch coil. The 10 will give you better depth but also sees more target at once when hunting ground.I like the Tiger Shark but you can not hear the targets over the chatter the salt gives you. Hear another thought. Go with a PI for lake and beach hunt and a Garrett Ace 250 for dry beach and ground hunting. The 250 will really suprise you on its performance for the $. Water units are heavier by nature so the lightness of the 250 is nice for land hunting.Just my opinoin,Joe