Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Watch this".....redneck's last words..............

JB(MS)

In 1966 I bought a house in the country a few miles from here that had a big, real high, hill about a quarter mile northeast of it. I went up there one day just looking around and discovered an old cemetery on top of it that had some early 1800's death dates, the earliest death dates I've seen in any cemetery in this area. The next Saturday a 17 year old cousin, Don, who was a senior in highschool stopped by. In the course of our BS session I mentioned the cemetery and he wanted to go see it. We went to the cemetery and was looking at the old markers when Don noticed a pile of junk by it that included an old Yazoo lawnmower frame. It didn't have a motor or the handles but still had wobbly wheels on it and Don pulled it to the edge of the hill and said he was going to ride it down. It was one of the old lawnmowers from the 40's or early 50's that had a long frame, with a big cast iron moter sitting on the back that pulled the blade with a belt so it was plenty long enough for him to sit on by scrunching up a little.

The hill was steep and long, at least 150-175 yards to the bottom, with some places that were really steep but it was fairly smooth and no trees except a few on the left near the bottom of the hill. I advised him against trying it but he climbed on and went over the edge. He only went a few feet before the lawnmower frame made a sharp left turn and dumped him off. After he stopped rolling he said he wished he could steer it cause it would be a blast to to ride it down the hill. I went back to the junk pile and picked out a couple of pieces of old wire, wrapped them around the head of the bolts that held the back wheels on so there was about a foot of wire sticking up and told him he could probably steer it by pulling the wire against the wheels. He got on and tried it by going down the hill about 30 feet making short left and right turns. It worked fine so he pulled the frame back to the top, climbed on and said, "Watch this!"

The first 50 feet or so wasn't too steep so he wasn't going that fast until he hit a steeper part and when he did it took off. By the time he was halfway down he had to have been doing 30 mph, he was loving it and let out a big "YEEHAW!" Then he hit the steepest part and that thing really took off, as it neared the bottom of the hill it was going so fast the wires I put on to steer it with didn't have any effect. About 50 feet from the bottom of the hill it made a left turn and hit a pine tree about 6 inches in diameter head on. Don straddled the tree, one leg went on each side, and his "privates" were the first thing that hit. His upper body whipped forward, the right side of his head hit the tree and he fell sideways off the mower frame. I ran down as fast as I could, he was unconcious and the right side of his face was scraped up and bleeding pretty bad. As I was pulling him from around the tree he started groaning and coming to. We had crossed a ditch with water in it going to the hill so I ran to it, took my shirt off and wet it then ran back and started washing his face. A couple of minutes later he was fully concious but in severe pain from the damage to his "privates".

I was going to go call the rescue squad but he said no, so I started trying to get him back to my house. It took almost two hours to get him up and make the quarter mile trip. When we got to the house I was going to take him to the emergency room but he wanted to go home so I drove him there and helped him in. His parents took him to the hospital later that afternoon, he was kept a few hours for observation and sent home with instructions to stay in bed, or at least laying down, for two weeks. His "privates" stayed swollen for over a month but he was lucky they weren't ruptured. After he got over it we would talk about it and laugh, but it wasn't the least bit funny at the time.

I'm on vacation this week but it's rainy and since I haven't had much time to write stories I thought I'd put a few up. I intended to have three short "Watch This" stories in the post but the one above was longer than I thought it would be so I'll stop with it. When y'all get tired of Mississippi redneck stories let me know.

i guess he was embarrased,thats why he didn't want you taking him to the doctor.i bet he was worried about his privates:lol:,i wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes,maybe shoes ain't the right word here:lol:.

but keep them stories comin!

Dave

n/t

And I think every male on this forum, winced, flinched and cringed with your description of the 'Close encounters of the unmentionable kind"! :)

Sunny skies

M

skate board. He brought it over to our house, and I was going to show him how Nana used to ride a skate board. I found for some reason, I was a bit more timid and scared for the thing. Ben thought it was funny, and my daughter kept yelling "Mom, get off,.....you are going to break your hip!!!" Break my hip???? She should have seen her mother ride the places we used to ride with those things. 'Course I was a few years younger!! But we got to going pretty fast on those things too!

Just lucky we are all still here, JB! At least I think we are!

Great story! :)

What were the dates on the headstones in the cemetery? Old places are always interesting to me and I love to read about them.

I guess Don is lucky to have survived the wreck with the tree while riding the old law mower...it is kinda funny reading about it. Thanks for posting the enjoyable story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

PS: Please have a great vacation! :)

There were 4 death dates between 1815 and 1828, and one of a little girl, can't remember the last name but her first name was Sarah, that had a birth date of 1784 and death date of 1792. The Chickasaw indians still controled this area until the early 1830's and there were very few white men in this area until 1820 and not many then. Seeing dates that old is an oddity for this part of Mississippi. The side of that hill was cut off when a gas line was run through there and several of the graves were destroyed. There were only 10 or 12 graves anyway and the gas line got half of them, I was up there about 20 years ago and the remaining stones had been pushed over so they may be covered up by now.

About 20 years ago we found a single grave on top of a high hill overlooking the Tombigbee river, way back in the woods in Bigbee bottom. It has Eliza Jane Reigh on the crude stone and a death date of 1834. I have some Ray relatives, I mentioned Jammer in the reply to you on the "Watch This 2" post, and there was a man who died in his 80's several years ago who spelled his name Reigh but claimed kin to the Ray's. One of the Ray's told me their name was originally spelled Reigh, if so it could be that Eliza Jane is one my very distant relative.

Many years ago, I found an old family type cemetery that had headstones marked into the 1850's.....about a dozen graves total, just do not remember the exact number. There was a wrought iron fence surrounding this small grave yard. I do remember one stating that he had been killed by Indians.

I was riding a horse at the time, several miles from the nearest road, and this area was remote. A few years ago, they developed the area and built houses. I rode back into the area to check on the cemetery and found that it had been bull dozed and the tombstones were broken and scattered. I would not want to buy one of those houses, reminded me of that movie that had houses built on an Indian grave site...spooky. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

There are laws that protect cemeteries but some of the old ones are in the woods and there's little chance of finding out who damaged them. Hester cemetery is a small cemetery on a hill overlooking Shoaf creek, every person buried there is a relative of mine, including my grandfather, grandmother, great grandfather and great grandmother. Deer hunters used some of the smaller stones for target practice and a man by the name of Capps drove a pickup through it and broke several others. Charges were filed against Capps, he was arrested but had a heart attack and died the week before the trial was scheduled. I've never understood why people do things like that.