Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Watch this 2....do unto others..........

JB(MS)

In 1956 the state built a new highway through Bigbee bottom and dug a huge pit a quarter of a mile from where we lived to get dirt for the embankment. The pit was about 100 yards long, 75 yards wide and 25-30 feet deep. The state stopped getting dirt from it when they reached the water level and it started filling up. Within a few days after they moved the equipment out the water rose to a depth of four feet or so in the deepest places and two feet or a little more at the shallowest and leveled off.

It was a good place for swimming but the pit wall were almost straight up and down. We tied a rope around a tree and went down in it a few times but it was really hard to climb back out so we decided to cut steps down the east wall. That was the highest side but also the side the road the state had built to haul the dirt out was on, and that side had the deepest water. It was harder than we thought. It took five or six of us almost a week to get the steps to where we could get up and down them but it was worth the trouble. It was used almost every day during the summers, except when it was stormy, for many years.

Several of us were there one day when we heard a car drive up. We couldn't see who it was but in a minute John Henry Mills came scrambling down the steps. John Henry was a few years older, we were all 12, 13 or 14, and he was a total looney. He would do or say anything and stayed in trouble most of the time. He waded out a few feet from the steps and hunkered down to where the water was up to his chin, started acting like he was treading water and yelled, "Y'all waachis" at us. We wondered what he was up to but soon found out. Danny Taylor had come with him but had took time to change into a swim suit up top. John Henry had hurried down the steps so he could pull one on Danny. Danny came down the first three steps, looked down to see John Henry apparently treading water and asked how deep the water was. We were 50-60 feet away but heard John Henry say, "They ain't no bottom ratcheer." Danny was at least 15 feet above the water and before we could say anything he dove off the wall. His feet never got wet.

John Henry like to have passed out laughing, and never tried to get Danny out. We ran through the water as fast as we could and pulled Danny up. He had swallowed some water but would have drowned if it had been left to John Henry to get him out. The bottom was sandy and soft but it scraped half the skin off his forehead and hurt his neck so that he had to wear a brace on it for a couple of weeks.

John Henry thought it was really funny, and when Danny got over it he seemed to think so too even though it could have killed him. John Henry married a Winston county, Alabama gal not long afterward and his inlaws like to beat him to death over something he said. His wife's family was having a dinner and all their kin was there. His sister-in-law was expecting and some of the women and a few of the men were discussing what to name the baby. In a loud voice John Henry told them that since every SOB within 100 miles had a shot at it they ought to name it Target. He meant it as a joke but them Winston county folks never did have much of a sense of humor.

the swimming incident! I'm certainly glad the guy was not paralyzed! And TARGET???? I would have beat the crap out of him right there!!! :)

without really thinkin out the results. I often wonder how I made it through. Good Story JB!

Dave

stuff never meaning any harm. Years ago, a friend of mine was drunk and started doing belly flops in to the water. Hes been in a wheel chair for 25 years now after he broke his neck.

Now Eddie hangs out in bars in Alabama and has become a permanent fixture. The bartender there said that when Eddie dies, the bar owner is going to have him stuffed and mounted!

Thanks for the story.

Lil Brother:)

How the heck did we servive our youth? Sounds like John Henry was more conserned with being funny than others feelings. Been there and dun that

I guess the kin folks did not like his joke! :lol: What ever happened to him? Do you ever see him or Danny? Appears that you boys had a great "country" swimming pool. Thanks for sharing, enjoyable as always. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

John Henry was about as off the wall as anyone could be without being in a looney bin. Once he was at a beer joint with the rest of the wild bunch, Guy Warren, Sammy Harlow, my cousin Vernon and Danny Taylor, when Toddy Sloan came in. Toddy was one of the baddest guys around when it came to a fight and when he saw they were the only ones there he said he would whip anyone in the place. He said later he was just kidding, I'm sure he was as he could have whipped the whole bunch, but Vernon said John Henry jumped up and charged him. Toddy was about 225, mean as a pit bulldog, and John Henry was maybe 140 so you can imagine what happened.

John Henry is still around somewhere as far as I know. I saw him 5 or 6 years ago and he was still the same old John Henry, at that time he was on his third wife. John Henry is the last of the wild bunch, the others didn't last too long. Guy and Sammy were killed in the same car wreck when they were about 20, a few years later Vernon was also killed in a wreck and Danny died of leukemia in his mid 20's.

Toddy got sent to prison for a couple of years for shooting another of my cousins. I mentioned Toddy was one of the baddest around in a fight but my cousin "Jammer" Ray was one of the 4 or 5 baddest He was huge, 6'6" at least and near 300 pounds. Toddy shot him in the knees with a both barrels of a double barrel 12 gauge. Jammer has been crippled since then, plus he got religion not long after the shooting and quietened down. Prison settled Toddy down, he was still rowdy but nothing like before. Doesn't seem like it's been over 40 years since all that happened.