Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Watch Out NIMH AA Rechargeable Batteries not so great!:confused:

Brokensignal

I found that the NIMH 9volt to be great! but found out the hard way that the AA NIMH rechargeables only coming in 1.2volts making it seem like there is a low charge on detector.Any thoughts on the subject?

I use them in my Minelab E-trac and in my Tesoro Tiger Shark. The original battery that come in the minelab is 16 or 1800 Mah. I can get AAs that have a 2700 mah rating. They don't have the same voltage that alkalines do but some have a bigger 'fuel tank' and run longer. Voltage is impotant as after a certain point the detector says there ain't enough juice to run me and the unit stops working. It takes longer for it to get to that point when you use a higher capacity battery. If you are taking a 30 gallon road trip and the low fuel warning light goes on when you have 2 gallons left and you only have a 15 gallon tank that's a whole lot more serious than having a 25 gallon tank as you traveled a lot farther before refueling was necessary. Same with the battery. voltage is only part of the equation.
My Tiger Shark takes 8 batteries. My Minelab takes 8 batteries. I have a couple of hand held HAM radios that take 8 batteries each. If I didn't use rechargeables I'd have to come out of retirement just to buy AAs.jim

The AA rechargeables should stay above the minimum usable voltage for hours even though the total voltage is below alkaline.
HH
BB

Thanks for the input.Yes for the Tejon maybe? the Tejon is designed for 12Volts DC.If you start out with new alkalines the no load volts start at 14volts DC and you can drop to about 9 volts before it's done.Start out with NIMH AA 1.2 Volts fresh recharge, 1.2 v x 8 = 9.6 v starting volts not good,with this i can not even start up a Minelab, no threshold nothing, you have to start a Minelab up with 11 volts or higher or the detector will not preform right.I also thought the NIMH AA was a true 1.5v battery until i looked at the side of the battery and was having so much trouble out of the Minelab,the tesoro is a little more forgiving.