Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Was there treasure near the old Oak Tree? ..............

Kelley (Texas)

When we bought our first ranch over in Gonzales County, buried money never entered out minds. This land had been in the seller's family since the days of the Texas Revolution.

There were seveal old barns that we decided to plow down...they were about to fall down anyway. One of the old barns was on a hill top, beside an old Live Oat Tree that we estimated to be well over one hundred years old. After we tore the old barn down, I turned the area into a holding pen for cows.

A few months later, I was in Gonzales and ran into the folks that we had bought the property from. We visited for a few minutes and decided to go to the Dairy Queen for lunch. While we were eating, I told them about tearing down the old barn, and just for fun told them that I had found an old jar full of silver coins at the site. For a moment or two, they became very quiet, but then started asking me where I had found the coins. They made mention of the fact that there was a rumor that the grandfather had buried money near that old barn and Live Oak Tree, but had died without telling anyone just where it was hidden. Well, I then told them that I was just joking and really had not found any silver coins. They laughed and we started talking about something else. We finished lunch and parted ways.

A few weeks later, their nephew came by the house on the way to fish in one of our stock tanks which we stocked with Catfish. During the visit, I told him that we would be gone for a few days to San Antonio, but he was free to come fish whether we were home or not.

When we returned from San Antonio, we discovered that someone had dug about a dozen deep holes around the old Live Oak Tree and where the old barn had been located. We asked the former owners about it, but they denied knowing anything...same with the nephew. We just filled the holes and never figured out who did it...guess we never will know who might have done it, but I think that it was the former owners looking for the loot that the grandfather was rumored to have buried there. Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 130318 PC114_1tree.jpg]

n/t

If only that old tree could talK!

Thanks for the tale and the picture that sure reminds me of Texas,

CJ

The treasure is buried 50 paces due east of the tree....

Try cardinal azimuths. Typically they buried in the shade of the tree in the evenings so due east.....

What you got to lose...

We know my great-grandfather, Jim Hooper (James Monroe Hooper), kept a gallon crock full of gold & silver coins with a roll of greenbacks for a stopper. He was an early loan shark in East Texas. He'd loan greenbacks, but you had to pay back in hard money. Folks would come to old Jim for a loan. He'd sit them at a table in the house with a couple of his sons to watch them & then he'd go out. Maybe 10, 15 mins later he'd come back with the crock. He'd lay out the money, take your IOU. Then he'd go back out, come back in a little while without the crock. He apparently never told anybody where he kept the crock. Folks have dug up a good 2/3 of Shelby & Van Zandt Counties looking for Jim Hooper's money. Personally, I think he probably kept the crock in a hollow tree, & I suspect my great uncle Zack found it. After the old man died Zack became a gambler on riverboats & was pretty well funded from the start.

TexasCharley