Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

warning relic hunters

butternut

A friend of mine detects with a guy who was apparently died from an explosion of a civil war artilery shell today in v.a. can't say his name at this time,but you can read a little about it at the richmondtimesdispatch.com, so be carefull guys when handleing artillery.

I read where he was dis-arming a shell. That is sad, sad news. Prayers out to his family...d2

I've un-loaded a few Parrot shells, but won't do another, after hearing about that. I saw it on the news. This guy has probably done it many times before, without a problem. But all it takes is one problem. I'm very sorry for his family, also. Perhaps this incident will keep others from attempting ordnance de-activation in the future. It's made me think twice, and count my blessings to be alive.

amen

[quote tesoronut]I've un-loaded a few Parrot shells, but won't do another, after hearing about that. I saw it on the news. This guy has probably done it many times before, without a problem. But all it takes is one problem. I'm very sorry for his family, also. Perhaps this incident will keep others from attempting ordnance de-activation in the future. It's made me think twice, and count my blessings to be alive.[/quote]

my deepest condolences to the sam white family. i did not know mr. white, but had heard that he was a good and honorable man to deal with. the blast occurred about 5 miles from my house, and my wife heard it happen while i was at work monday afternoon. again, my condolences to the white family.

http://www.wric.com/Global/story.asp?S=7888529

I do think the State Police went a little "overboard" in their reaction. They kept neighbors away from their homes for a couple of days. And, I understand that the "paranoia" induced by the media caused folks with Civil War items to turn them in to authorities, out of fear. Kinda like the street gun "turn-in" where people turn-in some valuable weapons to the police, where they are "allegedly" destroyed in the name of making the "hoods" safer. Mr. White wouldn't have wanted the police to make him look like some type of bomb weilding terrorist, and I don't think they should, either. But, I'm afraid the media portrayed him as such. Shame on them all.........

So sorry for his family and such a thing happening, i guess the reason it bothered me so much is When i was in The Marine Corps, Ordnance was my job, and for 4 yrs, i dealt with all types of ammo, bombs,rockets,guns, and even black powder for cannons used in celebrations, had to fuse, load, de-fuse, dis-arm, and many,many times removed armed,live,hanging by 1 hook, bombs from the bellies and wings of aircraft, 1 slightest error *, last error, well after a few years of this we all tended to get careless, happened we were lucky, the ones i know, and sometimes it just isn't carelessness, I guess it is just gonna happen, i remember one instructor told us=you will never hear it explode, as i say it really brought back my memories of the close hairy ones. My prayers to his family:usmc: