Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Want to go wireless, RF, IR, BT?

glenmaki

I am tired of yanking the cord on my headphones. I have read a lot on using wireless headphones and wanted to try the Auvio 33-283 but they are getting hard to find. My next choice is the TDK WR700, little more expensive. Is anyone using the TDKs on a 70/705 ? I also found several models from Sentry that might work, may need some mods but they are cheap which may mean easily broken. I see some people have used bluetooth and been happy with it (lag) and also IR but not much written on those. I would appreciate some input from people who have used wireless and more specifically the TDKs on a 70/705. I don't want to go out and spend $200 or more for the custom setups built for detecting. I may eventually put whatever I end up with into some David Clark or similar headphones if possible, I like the behind the neck style so I can wear a wide brim hat.
Thanks, Glen

I have and use both, the Auvio's and the TDK WR700's. They both work fine with the Xterra 705. Only difference is the headphones are on ear type with the TDK's and the Auvio's fit over the ear.

I got three sets of Auvio's when they were still available and cheap. Before them, I'd tried bluetooth and found it totally unacceptable, I also tried FM, and keep one for "in case", because they will do in a pinch, but are more susceptable to interference and lack quality tone.

I haven't tried the TDK's yet, but I'm sure at some time I will, unless I read bad things beforehand.

Thanks for the responses, I am pretty sure I am going to go with the TDKs.

More about the padded on(not over) the ear wireless headphone TDK WR700, it uses 2.4 GHz ISM radio band with 16 channels to chose from with a 33 feet range.

2 AAA batteries in the headphone and 2 AAA batteries in the transmitter lasting 30 to 40 hours.

Kleer technology delivers high quality wireless audio through a low power consumption 2.4 GHz radio link. Unlike Bluetooth, Kleer has patented CD quality digital stereo audio, having extended battery life over Bluetooth.

Information about Kleer's wireless technology that can be downloaded from Kleer's website at Kleer Technology Whitepapers

Our cordless telephone at home has 5.8 GHz so that might be about the same type of transmission as the TDK.'s?

I always use both, cordless telephones and cell(mobile) phones on "speaker-phone" all(100%) of the time away from my head at least about 3 inches or more and never hold either directly up to my ear. So I am health conscious to EMRadiation close to my brain. I will have to do some more research to find out if I am comfortable using wireless headphones or not?

Well I went ahead and ordered the TDKs. I am looking forward to giving them a try. David, I am not worried about the radio waves, if you are dont get wireless, same as your wireless phone.

Since it is the transmission of radio waves that is potentially harmful, having a wireless receiver (headphones) on your head shouldn't pose any more prblem than listening to any radio.

I've often wondered if worms, ants, grubs and such are effected by the transmissions into the ground by our machines. But it's an issue that I hope nobody pursues and answer to. It could end up like sonar and whales.

After reading this thread and reviewing prior posts about going wireless with the Auvio 33-283s, I stopped by a local RS store to see if they were still available (on 3/21/12). This particular store did not have them but they checked (at my request) and found them in stock at another area store about 5 miles away. I picked them up yesterday for $29.97 + tax (they still had 2 left on the shelf). So, don't assume that they are not still available and...still at a good price.

Having tried them on my X-Terras briefly after charging them up for a few hours, here are my thoughts:

I am not really impressed with the quality but they are certainly worth $30, and they do work as advertised. I can see where they would be useful if detecting in areas where a headphone cord would become entangled with bushes, branches, vines, etc. However, I find the quality of sound and the wearing comfort of my inexpensive Koss UR30s to be far superior.

Am I glad I bought them...YES.
Would I pay more than $30 + tax for them...NO.
Do they work as intended...YES.
Will I use them for detecting...YES...but rarely, and only when I find myself hunting in areas where it is impractical to use my hardwired headphones.

I also tried them last night and found them useful for watching TV. I will probably use them much more for this purpose than I will for :detecting:

Anyway, for those of you thinking you would want to give the Auvio wireless headphones a try, you can still find them. I hope Glen with provide a follow-up on his TDKs.

Michaelosully, I should have checked my local radio shack but it is a small town and the nearest one after that is 60 miles. I will give feedback on the TDKs, hopefully the quality is better than the Auvios considering the price.
Glen