Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wake up grandpa, I have a cz-20 question

Roman44

I have a fisher cz-20, I plan on using it when the ice melts away here in MI. I will be detecting in fresh water lakes. Is their any good books or tips on using this old but good machine?

There's a DVD called "Metal Detecting Real World Techniques Inland Coin and Relic Hunting" by Thomas Dankowski that will drastically reduce the learning curve for CZ's. I have a CZ-21 and it made a huge difference. It doesn't get into any water techniques but it will give you the basics and teach you to interpret the signals. Google his website to buy it.

Joe

Out of print hunting the surf with Fisher detectors that covers the CZ20 and 1280...I believe Andy Sabisch incorporated some tips in his CZ books..All in all many water hunting books out there that will help..Might check into some of the sites that sell detecting books or perhaps a Fisher dealer..

If you don't have the manual, download the CZ21 manual...same as the CZ20 except the pin point button is different.

Ground balance using the bobbing method. When doing so, the detector should be in autotune and the sensitivity at max along with the volume pretty high so you can listen to the threshold changing as you bob the coil up and down. Once completed, remember to turn down the volume and lower the sensitivity if you switch to discriminate mode prior to hunting.

If you are hunting in discriminate mode, set it at 0 and listen to all targets. Make sure the sensitivity is not too high...you should probably run it no more than 3-4 to start. Hunting in 0 discriminate mode allows you to hear the iron targets that bleed over ( ie, wrap) into the high tone. They will be low tone/ high tone hits. If you have your discrimination set to 1 or higher, the low tone is disabled and you will only hear the high tone hit on these bleeding targets...and get fooled by digging deep iron. One of the main things that causes new CZ users to dig much more iron than normal. They run it in discriminate mode 1 or higher. If there is TONS of iron, then you can run it that way...just make sure when you get a high tone hit, it's repeatable in all directions, and just to make sure, switch to 0 to see if any low tone comes into play.

Dig all REPEATABLE high tones, mid tones and even dig any low tone/mid tone bounces. These can be deep gold targets.

If the area is not too riddled with iron, you can run in auto-tune( ie, all metal) and dig all the sharper, smaller sounding targets. The longer, screeching, double hits and warbles are mostly iron. Auto-tune makes a very wide footprint and more sensitive coil so you will find a lot of small targets like rivets, bb's, etc. using that setting. It is a really cool way to run it to learn how the all metal mode reacts on the CZ. You can tell a lot about a target. I was out today with my CZ and running in all metal on the beach. A lot of hot rocks were in an area and were sounding off with a very faint change in threshold. When switching over to 0, they went away. Once I started to know how they were sounding, I just moved along.

Not sure what coil size is on your CZ20, but if it's the 8 inch coil, then you don't even need to use the pin point button. X the target and its almost always right in the center hole of the coil.

In my opinion the CZ is one of the best all around detectors ever made. The only caveat with the CZ20/CZ21 is that it is always in salt mode, so the sensitivity to SMALL gold ( ie, small earrings, thin chains. etc.), is below average.

JC

Thank you for all the good advice. I am use to my excal. I know the cz is a totally different machine.I will look for the mentioned books, and dvd. The technical information and personal use info was great. Thank you . I will post my finds when the snow melts.

to set it one thing you WILL find in michigan waters is iron alot of it in some spots and you might want to dig some up just to make sure your not missing good relics (log marking hammers,old spikes or pike poles michigan is rich in logging history too)
also in some of the older spots iron will mask targets so to get the good targets you have to dig the iron out of the way grid off a spot in the lake your hunting with it set up like therover said and go over it if you get alot of iron targets get them out of the way and in the trash if there junk then you won't have to dig them up again!!!then dig all the other targets just fill in the holes