Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vortex Bang for Buck

RLOH

I am hoping the Vortex will perform on par with the Legend and Nox. At 599, I am not expecting it to compete with Deus 2 and Manticore. The last American company to compete with Minelab was the Whites v3 series. I always found that detector to equal the Explorer series. It was complicated, but once you knew what to adjust, it competed. At any rate, I really look forward to the field testers hunting the public spots I frequent. I have already seen the detractors slamming Garrett as a company, but at this point, it is unfounded. Time will tell and Garrett has staked their reputation on this new release.

I am hoping the Vortex will perform on par with the Legend and Nox. At 599, I am not expecting it to compete with Deus 2 and Manticore. The last American company to compete with Minelab was the Whites v3 series. I always found that detector to equal the Explorer series. It was complicated, but once you knew what to adjust, it competed. At any rate, I really look forward to the field testers hunting the public spots I frequent. I have already seen the detractors slamming Garrett as a company, but at this point, it is unfounded. Time will tell and Garrett has staked their reputation on this new release.
I agree with you that the Bashing of this Vortex is baseless, How can someone bash something that they have never even held in their hands yet, at this point it is just those that are doing the bashing's opinions and assumptions, and we all know what assuming something can do for the ones doing the assuming LOL

I for one am looking forward to receiving my Vortex VX9 and seeing for myself what the Vortex can and cannot do, already have my order in for a VX9 so hopefully by the end of July I will know what and what it cannot do, if it performs as good or better than some of the detectors I already have I will be happy if not it will be put away to collect dust like my other dust collectors are doing rite now

my hopes are this VX9 will out perform my dust collectors like the Legend, nox 800 and a few others I have that are collecting dust, my Legend I have loaned to a friend that is wanting to get into detecting and I was not using my Legend so I thought why not if he likes the Legend then I will give him a smokin deal on it and he can enjoy getting into this great hobby for cheap LOL

On paper, the Vortex has fewer features than similarly priced detectors. That doesn't mean it will be a bad machine, but seems like a bit of stretch that it will be exactly equivalent to the Legend and the Nox machines.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of head-to-head tests with those machines as the Vortex arrives in more users' hands this month.

On paper, the Vortex has fewer features than similarly priced detectors. That doesn't mean it will be a bad machine, but seems like a bit of stretch that it will be exactly equivalent to the Legend and the Nox machines.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of head-to-head tests with those machines as the Vortex arrives in more users' hands this month.
Here is what I am hoping
the ground I detect is highly mineralized with a heavy magnetite content and a heavy salt content, I have 7 detectors than run great on my ground and several detectors that will not run good at all on my ground, the 7 detectors I have that run great on my ground are all analog detectors the Golden Mask 7, Golden Mask 4WD, troy Shadow X5, Tesoro Vaquero and my Garrett Gold Master 24K and my Xp ORX and as bad as I hate to even mention it my Vista X, all the ones that run not so good on my ground are all what most would consider high tech cell phones on a stick digital detectors the Legend, Nox 800 and 900 are the ones I am referring to, I am excluding my Axiom because it is a PI (Pulse Induction) Detector and I have found no ground that my Axiom cannot run good on, so its the VLF's I am also excluding my AT Pro and my Xterra 705 even though they are VLF's but I do not use them that much and I am sure I am leaving out a few other detectors

I cannot tell anyone just why my 5 Analogs have no problem on the ground I detect but they do not,I do have my own theories as to why, my thoughts are that the high tech Cell Phones on a stick are restricted because of the amount of filtering that is going on inside them, (Do I Know this for a Fact) absolutely not they are just my theory

What I am hoping with this new Vortex is because it appears to not have a bunch of settings and features to mess with and most likely fewer filters going on that the Vortex detector will run better on the ground I detect than the previous high tech cell phones on a stick VLF's that I currently own or have borrowed to see how the run on my ground and have tried out on my ground, and the only way to know for sure is for me to get one in my hands and give it a try, so I have elected to purchase the VX9 when they become available and in fact have already placed my order for the VX9 and already paid the dealer that I will be getting my VX9 from, that is it in a nut shell for me I want to know how the Vortex VX9 will perform on the ground I detect

On paper, the Vortex has fewer features than similarly priced detectors. That doesn't mean it will be a bad machine, but seems like a bit of stretch that it will be exactly equivalent to the Legend and the Nox machines. …..
As a buddy said and I agree on what I’ve seen so far. “It is an (waterproof) Apex with three lines showing the ferrous and the non-ferrous (same as 1 line but separated at ferrous/non ferrous) and a line showing what it can't interpret. it is a fail, no iron bias, no tone breaks, no recovery speed, no bottle cap??????”
(xxxxx)s are my adds

here's how I see this; If garrett produces a detector with legitament multi freq capability ( that transmit all at the same time ) ) that Id's correctly while punching deep into the ground and best of all truely works at a salt water beach and is waterproof to boot .... then they will have a winner for sure ( JMHO ).... I for one don't need /nor want a ton of bells and whistles on a unit. I have my money set aside waiting to see what the verdict will be. I hope it doesn't disappoint .

Mark ( ohio )

“a detector with legitament multi freq capability ( that transmit all at the same time ) ) that Id's correctly while punching deep into the ground and best of all truely works at a salt water beach and is waterproof to boot .... then they will have a winner for sure”
Sounds like a Nokia Double Score but twice the price.

Maybe it's me, but isn't the new garrett vortex screen some what the same thing as the minelabs manticore 2D Screen. That's my take on it & maybe with a touch more info too than the manticore.
I don’t get why everyone thinks the 3 are anything special. The top line is ferrous and second is non ferrous. No different than one line showing both. The last is a guesstimate. Give me a screen like Golden Mask has.

IMG_0911.jpeg

I don’t get why everyone thinks the 3 are anything special. The top line is ferrous and second is non ferrous. No different than one line showing both. The last is a guesstimate. Give me a screen like Golden Mask has.

View attachment 59145
Those vertical lines going up and down are depth indicators the higher the vertical line goes the deeper the target is, and yep I love the screen on my Golden Mask 7, the GM7 is the same excluding the 15KHz the GM7 runs 4,14,24 and 44 KHz in single frequency operation, the GM7 is a very capable very deep selectable Single Frequency VLF detector, one of, if not the best I have ever detected with once you learn how to set it up, according to Golden Mask the GM7 is 20% Digital and 80% Analog

Maybe it's me, but isn't the new garrett vortex screen some what the same thing as the minelabs manticore 2D Screen. That's my take on it & maybe with a touch more info too than the manticore.

Where did you get this idea? The Vortex doesn't have anything like the 2D screen on the Manticore. The 2D screen shows a lot more detailed information than the Vortex's three bars.

That’s why I call it a marketing ploy.
The Whites had a line showing the read-out of each frequency separately. That gave you the information to make the determination of what the target was. Completely different.

Where did you get this idea? The Vortex doesn't have anything like the 2D screen on the Manticore. The 2D screen shows a lot more detailed information than the Vortex's three bars.
Really to me it seems like a simplified 2d screen. The garrett vortex vx9 has a upper ferrous bar, a lower ferrous bar & the goods non-ferrous bar in the center of the 2 ferrous bar. Yeah I know it don't paint a pretty shape for you.

That’s why I call it a marketing ploy.
The Whites had a line showing the read-out of each frequency separately. That gave you the information to make the determination of what the target was. Completely different.
And the fact that Garret bought White's IP makes this even more bizarre. They could've put a DFX/XLT/etc-style readout on the VX machines!