Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Visit to HULL!" (Massachusetts)

Ron J

[attachment 34824 fort3.jpg]Last March,my buddy,Joe was getting itchy [attachment 34827 hullmass.jpg]for another Boat.Shopping in CRAIGSLIST,he found a vessel he thought he needed.He already owned a 23'Mako,center console,but needed to update,or like most guys,needed two boats.Why not? I do. I have a 25'pontoon boat,and a 21'older Cruisers Inc.,cuddy cabin.

Well anyway,early on a Saturday morning,off we went.We needed to go early,by 6:30 or 7:00 to beat traffic.Hull is on the New England coast,just S.E. of Beantown.I live in Beverly,just N.E. of Beantown,so it was maybe an hour ride,even with the dozens of traffic lights,on the other side of Boston.We flew down,Rte.128,to Rte.1,over the Mystic Bridge,thru the BIG DIG tunnels,i'am sure you read many articles,or seen on the news,about that horror show.
Well anyway,we got off the expressway in Quincy,(home of TWO past U.S. Presidents,father/son),also home to the USS SALEM,a retired Navy Cruiser.She was built at the ForeRiver shipyard,in Quincy.Salem Massachusetts,had a chance to own this namesake,but couldn't show they could afford the upkeep,or had a deep enough channel/dock,to keep her.Boy did they blow that one,as a tourist attraction!

Next we came to Nantasket,a seashore town right on the Atlantic.Real nice beach,continued thru to HULL.Now i gotta tell you,i've been here before.Driving my car,and also by a previous boat i had owned.Hull is like Provincetown,its the end the road...one way in,same way out.
Hull is also made up,of what looks like two very large islands,connected by causways.Don't know it they are natural,or manmade.The road we were on,ends at an entrance way to Quincy bay.The channel has a very very strong current.
You can drive your car almost into the ocean!Believe me,when you look at the large "cans",(large buoy markers)put there by the Coast Guard,they are leaning over,constantly,fighting to stay in place!Across the channel,is Peddocks Island.If it weren't for the strong current,you could almost swim across.
Been on Peddocks Island about ten yrs ago.There are the remains of an Army Fort on it,dating back to the late 1800's.That makes sense huh? An Army Fort on an Island!It has alot of history,including being a WW11 italien prison camp.If you like reading,Read "ONCE UPON AN ISLAND".Its written by a mother/daughter,who married a soldier,stationed there while it was being built!The daughter finished the book,as her mother passed away before it was finished.Great book.

Back to the story,we did inspect the boat,and left a deposit.Joe later,reniged,and purchased TWO other boats,both Alden 26 footers.While we were in Hull,i showed Joe,another Fort way up on a hill,dating back to Colonial times.It overlooks Boston Harbor,and i'am sure it was originally built to keep the Britsh out.You may be able to see Boston Light,and a few islands in the distance.Enjoy the photo's![attachment 34822 fort1.jpg][attachment 34823 fort2.jpg][attachment 34824 fort3.jpg]

It looks sorta reminds me of Roman fortifications. Dang same the morons grafittied it all up.

I have been to Boston a couple times for school but never knew about the old fort. It would be interesting to see.

Thanks for the post buddy! :D

Almost every island in Boston,was fortifide,at one time or another.Unfortunately,all the islands in the harbor are part of the Nat'l Park Service.so no metal detecting!Bummer....They do have water shuttle service to all the islands.Not sure,but i think it may be free.Boaters,usually anchor off them,picnick,swim etc.

You guys have great history to observe ! The missus has always wanted to make it up to Cape Cod and the New England states. One of these days I hope. Beautiful scenery !!

The island in the distance seems to have a golden glow to it compared to the closer scenes. Very unusual effect. Why is that?

was one of the earliest fishing settlements in the U.S. Still a rather larger fishing port today.Beverly is known to be "Birthplace of the U.S Navy",but Marblehead,10 minutes by water,or 2o minutes by driving,will argue that point!The two towns will argue over that title forever.I have heard of a small town in upstate N.Y.,also claims title.I could go on@on about local history,but like i said,look in your own "backyard",you may find something interesting!! We have Wenham,Inthe early 1900's,They shipped ice to Europe!Next door is Hamilton,home of General George S Patton,of WW!!,(Patton Tank),and his son,also a General.He just passed,last year after a long retirement.as for the CAPE? you just have to see it for yourself!The Bluffs on the outer Cape are unbelieveable to see!Last tidbit,thats where the found the "WHIDDAH",only Pirate ship,found with Booty!!

And for the life of me, I could not understand why ANYONE, in their right mind, would want to visit there :). But then I saw Mass, and forgave you Ron. :lol:

Wonderful segment on history and beautiful pictures.

Calm seas

M

We do have some interesting history in our area too. Lots of "War of 1812" action here. Still, all things considered, our history here pales in comparison to your area and most of the U.S. Not to mention the American Civil War, (whose history alone could take a lifetime to absorb) and the American Revolution etc. etc. A wealth of material !! I want to see and learn it all.:)

I could not help but notice that there are not any people walking around the fort. I would think that this would be a great tourist attraction if the old fort was fully restored. I love seeing pictures of old places like this...thanks for posting the pictures and some written details. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

for sharing them. I just hate it that some punks defaced some of the property with spray paint!

Guys aren't the only ones with two boats! Heck, I have two also. Just a ski barge and a dandy flat bottom fishing boat.

Nice to hear about places in other people's "neck of the woods". :)