Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Very old Connecticut village.

George-CT

I got out on the road bike today so took the camera along. I found some great spots to photograph but the sun was in my face for the shots I wanted so took these about 5 miles from where I live.

This is the town of Scotland, CT. What you are seeing is the main section of the town. 1 country store thats still in operation and the inside is much like it was way back when. It has the post office, pizza, deli, car parts, grain etc. It used to sell gas at one time but thats been gone a long time. I have another picture I'm looking for, same store only with lots of horse and wagons out front on the same hill in front of it. They make the best grinders in town. You are looking at all this from the town green, and everything is built around the green. Naturally there are others homes in the town now, but this was and still is main street. You can pass thru in on RT 14, the road you see in all of 8 seconds at the posted speed. blink and you have missed it.

I grabbed a few shots of the homes right next to it, but just a short distance away is where more came later and they are really beautiful. All dated from 1700 and 1800's. No I have not detected any of them. They are typical swamp yankee's. Leave it where it is, let it be.
trust me, if the border patrol hired these folks, no one would get in or out.....

The gun is their military tribute. They hold everything on this green. Car shows, tag sales, church get together s etc. Really a nice town if you like small. The town hall you see is original and still in use. Just about 100 yards from it is and old town grange. I've been working on detecting it, but so far one of the town fathers says yes, 3 say no.... I just want to do it so offered them all I found. Then got the just let it stay where it is son.

I should of took one in the winter here as a few of the farmers down the road still run their sleighs before they plow the roads...Really a picture post card shot.

The bike shots are for Kelly. I think he can see the guardian bell about midway, on the left side looking at the windshield. Pretty sure I'm moving it to the right side up under the front floor board for my feet. More chrome....

Today was our first 80 degree day. Last week we were dodging snow flurries, this week heat.... No complaints here, I enjoyed myself today and went into Rhode Island on back roads, and made a big loop. Lots of guys and gals were out. Its like they all busted out of the cabin and took the day off from work.... I got tired of the old wave after about 2 hours of it.... Even picked up a little sun burn.
Look like and albino coming out of hibernation so burn pretty easy. Us snow flakes are delicate....

Plenty of small town greens around here that they keep as they were......I will try to get to some with more interesting things. I know one with the Revolutionary War Office. all original and with a big green where they all gathered before going off to fight....

George-CT

is spic and span. Thanks for sharing the photos, and I just love the old stores and churches, of :)

am gonna have to move it. I can hear it ringing all the time and like that but it keeps hitting my finger and gets a mite sore :D I want it where the wind hits it so I can hear it doing its job.
That is a pretty little town. I looked it up with Google Earth and got this shot. I think I can see the cannon in the center there. It was an absolutely beautiful day here today too. We got out on the scooter for a few hours.[attachment 87667 george.jpg]

the last T in Center Street if where my bike was parked. Thats the village. Your getting good at finding stuff with google...

I can't hear my bell. I can't hear any high frequency stuff. This is the first year I could not hear the peep frogs. I really miss that sound at night right now. I can still hear owls and stuff like that, but not real high pitched birds. To many years around heavy equipment and impact wrenches. I can't hear it next to my ear either. But its there. I get questions on it so I try to keep it where it shows up. I just don't want it to low on the frame where it can get scrapped off. My rig is pretty low. I was telling about buddy up the street this evening about your Honda Helix. He is going to take a look at them. Older guy, who had both hip sockets replace so he can't life his leg over the bike, Being a step thru, that would be perfect for him. Cheap on fuel... He used to ride all the time but has not in a long time. He was a good rider, and had Harleys, goldwings and the like..... He lost his wife last year to cancer and just wants something to keep him amused. I do my best but he needs something with wheels cheap to run. He just runs around locally here, he might go 10 miles tops...
Good people, retired Navy and Air Force. Did the pacific, then Vietnam....tough old fella.....

Hey, I have a bunch of new local geocaches to find but am waiting for my daughter Heidi to get back here and hunt them with her. She enjoyed hunting them in Charleston SC. This is a different hide. A guy and his wife hid 12 of them at the different Dunkin donuts shops within 12 miles.... After you find them all, you then figure out the clue to get the big one and last one.... that will be fun. Got a few more local ones also at truck stops and hiking park areas....

Geo

from the towns down here in South Texas. Everything is kept so neat...almost looks like what would be on a postcard. The general store looks more like a home than a store, but that could be because there may be living quarters upstairs. You wrote "They make the best grinders in town." What is a grinder? Also, sure is a good looking bike! Thanks for the story and interesting photos. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Where did those folks get the rocks for that rock fence? I am glad that you had a good ride today...rest your waving arm and try to go for another one tomorrow if possible. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I just love them but they get addictive as heck. There was a place in our area, down in Waterford, called Mancino's. There Grinders were outstanding and I had to have eaten 200 of them but they have gone out of business. I don't know why but they had almost doubled the price on the Grinder and when they did that I even quit buying them there.

They are stacked high with your choice of meat and cheese and then run through an oven. When they come out they are stacked with your choice of toppings, veggies and such. They are hot and soft and ummmmmm.. I gotta go find one now :D

Travers City is a college town and there are, or at least were, three Mancinos on the same road within a five mile stretch. They are great!!

I think they are called Grinders because they were first made in Philly for iron workers. Just something easy and fast to make and they were a hit. Might not have been Philly but back east somewhere

but we do have subway sandwiches...fixed many different ways, but they are usually served cold, not hot.

Royal, did you notice how neat and tidy everything looked in those pictures that George posted? I also noticed no leaves on the trees...they must not have Live Oak Trees up there where he lives. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

This place makes them on the big grinder loafs.... Add that with their deli food, all made there and its one heck of meal. I always stop there on my way to the club if I don't want to make something up or Jane is off somewhere. I can't eat all of their small grinder which is bigger than a large Subway grinder....

Many describe it this way. "The perfect grinder is made with a crusty bread. Meat is a soft salami, Provolone cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper, and a little oregano. Absolutely NO mayonnaise. In parts of New England, especially Connecticut, this is referred to as a "regular grinder." Regular being the salami meat. The important part here is the bread - it can't be that soft crap like from Subway. It's also acceptable to use capicola meat, mortadella, or a hard salami. I personally like the Ham grinders with the provolone cheese, lettuce, tomatoes olive oil, and red peppers. Cold in the summer, toasted in the winter. They are a entire meal. I'm pretty sure they have something similiar else where called the hoggie or Hero..... We have friends that come here from Hermiston Oregon, and thats all they want to eat while here is grinders. I like them also with deep fried veal, or real tuna fish slabs that are grilled, and in winter stuffed with meat balls and green peppers toasted...

George

the greens and yards. so much stuff comes down in the winter that it really looks dirty unless you do. The snow has only been out of here about 2.5 weeks yet green grass is there. Everything here seems to happen at a fast pace. More so the further north you go I think. We have mostly BIG red oaks here, less of the white oak....Their leaves are very acid so they like to get them up. Takes forever for them to rot....The rest of the big trees are maple or birch and their leaves are gone in a winter on the ground... They are gathering maple sugar here right now so I will get a picture them also.... Most here now run plastic hoses all over the place always pitched down hill to a central collection stainless tub.... Just getting buds on the trees now, mostly maple and birch. Oaks are still just grey sticks...

George-CT

The glaciers left that all here after cleaning out Canada and the northern states of them. As they stopped and started melting, they just dropped where they were. You would not like this area for farming I bet. Hard to make pastures and the walls are all from the stones being picked out of the pastures... I have walls on the farm here that are 9 foot wide..... A lot of old homes here are built from the stones, almost all the old basements were and are what you find for cellar holes out in the woods to detect in.. All granite..... Funny, a suthern couple moved up here and she was amazed by all the rocks. Her husband used to say, they shot them all up here at us yankee's during the civil war.... Just about everyone has a stone fireplace here. You find them out in the woods still in good condition just standing all alone. Always a good spot to detect.... Often no cellar, but the house was built on a layer of stones.....Usually find relics there... I'll take pictures of a few next time I'm out there.... All the old mills up this way were stone....still beautiful to look at. Right now most are being turned into Senior Homes...They are big, they put in restaurants, shops, and nice appartments in them. Most had alot of land that was fence in wrought iron and they are really nice. Also, all were on a river as thats where the got their power from....Beautiful spots..... We have a ton of them in this area, I'll get shots and post the pictures, I think you will be impressed....

George-CT

seems the oldtimers had some wisdom in setting up the town green,sounds like its being used the way it was intended,a community gathering spot.

n/t