Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Very odd park

Dan(NM)

I started hunting a park about 50 miles from where I live last Monday, I took out 15 wheats and a junk ring. This park is loaded with trash and iron, 4-5 hits per swing and it's everywhere. The park isn't that old(1925), but, heavily used apparently. I hunted for roughly 6 hours and only dug 6 clad coins. I was certain there was silver to be found with that many wheats being found.

Most of the signals were iffy and between 6-8" deep. I went back yesterday and focused on the same general area that I hunted the week before. Again, most of the signal were funky and deep, this time between 7-9". I managed to pull 6 more wheats and 2 mercs from a relatively small area, again only 5 pieces of clad.

The strangest signal was one of the mercs, I was only getting a hit on it every other swing , short tight passes, one way and just a chirp. The VDI never went above 22 or dropped below a 20, normally if the numbers dip into the negatives on this kind hit, it's a piece of iron, so I dug it. just to see what it was.

I was very surprised when I saw silver in the dirt :), this was deeper hit, maybe 8" I cut the hunt short because I hit a deer on the way over and really jacked up the grill on my car, my second animal hit in 2 years driving to a hunt lol.

I did meet a guy swinging a machine and came to the conclusion that he's cleaning all the shallower clad out because he swings with his coil 3-4" off the ground and moves very quickly.

My setting were:

Park 1
Recovery 6
Iron Bias 3
Sens 24
Tone break set to 20, cherry picking setting
2 Tones
11" coil

Attachments

• IMG_20210912_110306730_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210912_110306730_HDR.jpg
    1,019.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20210912_111257188.jpg
    IMG_20210912_111257188.jpg
    985.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20210912_120701593.jpg
    IMG_20210912_120701593.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20210906_134013848.jpg
    IMG_20210906_134013848.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 92
If that park dates back to 1925, there should definitely be silver there… think about all the years that trash has been dumped there.
I have a small park like that where I searched some years ago and it was full of clad, but also full of trash… after a few trips there silver coins started showing up pretty regular.
I was using a Sovereign at the time and if worked slowly, it could find good targets in all that trash.
I’m wondering if that Merc was on edge to give such a low reading?
At least some silver is showing now… there’s more there!!!

glad you decided to dig !!

If this happens again at this park (or anywhere else for that matter) I’d love for you to adjust three settings: 1) switch to 50 tones 2) drop your iron bias to 0 and 3) lower recovery to 4. Stay right over the top of the signal and give very tiny “sweeps” right over the target ( You are basically wiggling the coil back and forth. ) At the same time increase your coil speed. One of two things is going to happen: you will be able to extract more steady high tones or you will get a partial high tone chirp that keeps “dropping or bleeding out” If it’s the latter it’s always been iron for me. (I have dug massive amounts of iron to prove to myself they were not coins) But if those high tones stay up there but sway back and forth, get ready to dig
If you decide not to try these settings that’s ok too. However. I feel compelled to share settings that have truly blown me away with amazing results.

glad you decided to dig !!

If this happens again at this park (or anywhere else for that matter) I’d love for you to adjust three settings: 1) switch to 50 tones 2) drop your iron bias to 0 and 3) lower recovery to 4. Stay right over the top of the signal and give very tiny “sweeps” right over the target ( You are basically wiggling the coil back and forth. ) At the same time increase your coil speed. One of two things is going to happen: you will be able to extract more steady high tones or you will get a partial high tone chirp that keeps “dropping or bleeding out” If it’s the latter it’s always been iron for me. (I have dug massive amounts of iron to prove to myself they were not coins) But if those high tones stay up there but sway back and forth, get ready to dig
If you decide not to try these settings that’s ok too. However. I feel compelled to share settings that have truly blown me away with amazing results.
I'm going on a 6 day metal detecting road trip back to a place I hunted last year with very good results. Plenty of good deep targets in a similar trashy park. I'll do some experimenting since I'll have plenty of time to hunt. Thanks for the tip.!!

I'm going on a 6 day metal detecting road trip back to a place I hunted last year with very good results. Plenty of good deep targets in a similar trashy park. I'll do some experimenting since I'll have plenty of time to hunt. Thanks for the tip.!!
6 day metal detecting road trip? 😳😳
I want to go 😂😂
You are welcome and I wish you the best!