Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero

dlkamp

I need some feedback on the Vaquero. I currently own a Silver U-Max and like the machine but I am looking for a machine that will give me some added depth on older deep seated coins. I usually can get my silver to get down to that 7 inch depth consistently on most wheaties and silver coins. My buddy owns a whites DXT and really gets down there....reaching depths around the 12 inch mark on some older silver coins. Is there a Tesoro machine that can match that on deep coins? I have read reviews on the Vaquero and some are saying it can get that job done in good soil conditions. Can any of you Vaquero owners give some good feedback on your machines? What are the maximum depth range on your machines(good soil vs not so good soil etc). Again I am a coin hunter mostly looking for the old silver. I want a machine that can go into old parks, churches etc that have been searched hard and have the ability to get deep and maybe extract an coin or two that may have been missed by detectors that didn't have the capability to go that deep. It is really getting hard to find any virgin soil out there and I guess I would like to get a machine that will give that capability to go deep. My whites buddy is going into old parks that have been pretty much labeled "searched out and is pulling out some nice deep finds in the 10-12 inch depth range. I really like the Tesoro detectors and want to get one that can show him that the whites isn't the best machine on the planet earth. Please help me guys with any valuable input. Thanks and God bless!

DLKAMP

The V is a very good machine is probably capable of hitting coins at the 12" depth if everything were perfect. But unfortunately, that is seldom the case. The Tejon would give you a couple more inches in depth but if you are hunting parks you probably have to deal with all the trash so I would suggest getting the HOT 575 coil (will work on either the V or T). The Tejon also hits hard on coins on edge. The 575 coil is very hot, almost as deep as the stock 9 x 8. One other option, but it has its draw backs, is to get the bigger 12 x 10 coil. It will give you a couple of more inches but may be bothered by masking in a trashy park.

Thanks for the feedback, Scully! Great input. Do you own a Vaquero or Tejon or both? Do you think the Vaquero would be a good machine for the money ($420 vs. $570 on the Tejon)? I don't know if I could talk the wife into spending 570 on the Tejon. Will have to do some sweet talking in order to let her allow me to purchase the Vaquero. Do you think the Vaquero is a good upgrade from the Silver UMax? Thanks again for the feedback!

I have both machines, I really like the Tejon, the Vaquero is my spare, I never used the Vaquero much until I sent my Tejon in to have it re-calibrated. The V does very well, but I don't think it is as deep as the Tejon. Since I got my Tejon back, the V has just went for a ride. One thing I did notice is the V does run quieter, does not click on the nails like the Tejon does, but you actually get used to the little clicks the nails make. You can also adjust the tone on the Tejon. I run my machine with the discrimination set halfway between Iron and foil and dig everything that repeats well, so maybe I listen to more nails than other folks do. In my honest opinion the V is good, but the T is worth the extra money.

The Vaquero is a fantastic all around hunter but I have yet to pull a coin at 12 inches with it. I did get an IH at about 8 inches one time and I pull 22 shells at about 6 inches but from what I have heard the Tejon is the deepest but the Vaquero will pull up some pretty deep stuff to. If you can make it to Minot some time I will let you use my Vaquero and see how you like it.:beers:

Again I am a coin hunter mostly looking for the old silver. I want a machine that can go into old parks, churches etc that have been searched hard and have the ability to get deep and maybe extract an coin or two that may have been missed by detectors that didn't have the capability to go that deep.

Well who doesn't? It sort of goes without saying that something must be there first, if you are to find it. No detector can produce coins from thin air, and not every "old" piece of ground holds what you are looking for.
Without raising anyones dander, I have yet to see my V pulll anything from a foot under any conditions. Ive actually seen my Golden do better, but Im convinced there wasnt any magic in that, it was just the right combination of things at that place in time - pretty dicey odds if you think about it. ANY detector is going to be a hard taskmaster on YOU if it is to produce under the conditions you are imposing.

But, here is a question that will likely cause the crew to mutiny: Why not duplicate you friends set up, if it is working? There is no need to prove anything to anyone here. What is needed is something that will meet your goals.

Thanks for the feedback, Dahut. I just can't afford a machine costing over a grand. I had read some awful good reviews on the Vaquero and a lot of them claimed it went real deep. Just wanting to get some good feedback from all you Vaquero owners. Thanks again and happy hunting.

... I just can't afford a machine costing over a grand. I had read some awful good reviews on the Vaquero and a lot of them claimed it went real deep....

No worries and wasnt trying to stir up trouble. But the question begged to be asked...

The V will go pretty deep, but in doing so it signals with a "small" voice. The audio is modulated, that is to say it has a lessened volume the deeper the target is. That's what I mean by "small" voicing.
That DFX, by contrast, has a whole suite of detail tippin' you off to deep targets, both audio and visual. It also offers near infinite adjustment to tailor it your style.

The DFX is truly a luxe instrument, where the V is a stripped down powerhead.

To use the Vaquero effectively you will have to slow down your pace, run in high SENS and listen, listen, listen for the smallest of tones. This means use good headphones. You may even want to invest in amplified 'phones. If you want to keep pace with that DFX, you will also have to understand basic concepts, like ground balancing, as well as some newfangled ones like "Power Balancing" and "Hyper Tuning."
Probably the best way to get good fast is to go with your friend and when he has a good target below his coil, have him call you over to work it with your V. It shouldnt be long before you learn what a good friend you have and how to tell when those deep goodies are calling.

In many ways the Vaquero reminds me of a .410 bore shotgun. Most say it is good for everyone, even for beginners, but I feel to use it effectively - you'll have to develop a masters touch.

n/t

Dahut, great input! Thanks. In your opinion going from the Silver U-max to the Vaquero how much better machine will I be getting? Or would I be better off sticking with my U-Max and going with a larger coil to try and gain some depth. I know you sacrifice some things by going to the bigger coil, especially in trashy areas. I love the silver but kinda would like to upgrade. Thanks again for all your wisdom!!!

If it were me, bud, I'd be hard pressed to get rid of any Silver uMax. It's one of the best GP detectors ever made.

But you asked:
..."going from the Silver U-max to the Vaquero, how much better machine will I be getting?"

Not leaps and bounds better, but better. I also feel it is a little smoother to use. The V has the option of fine tuning the GB, which can add an inch or so. It also has the slightly hotter circuit, which is likely good for another inch. So we're talking a couple inches. Again this is under average conditions; YMMV

A larger coil? Weeeeellll, that is a trade off. Yes, you get more depth. But that isnt a magic bullet - it is the result of the electrophysics at work. In the bargain, you also get a larger footprint to the scan pattern. This results in masking in a congested soil matrix. I've always felt the larger coils are best suited to more open spaces with less trash, like fields and woods.

Something I'd seriously consider is a sniper coil for the V, like Scully says. While I've never tested them side by side, I have owned both the SuMax and the V (still have a V with the 5.75 coil). I feel like you are getting the same, or better, depth with this setup as you get with the Silver uMax - while getting the fine pattern of the smaller coil. Add some amplified phones and you might just get where you want to go.

But I gotta side with Scully on this. I sense that you are simply beyond the limit of the V, hunting for dimes at 12." The dime should be your benchmark, as the smallest silver coin minted in the US. I tried to do it in testing and there's no way. In the field, maybe... but I can't feel you could do it with consistency.

Dahut, you be the man! Thanks for all the great feedback, it is really appreciated! You have a vast knowledge of the tesoro machines. I am new to the Tesoro game and just got back into detecting last year after about a 22 year layoff. I am once again addicted and can't get enough. Again, I love my Silver Umax but was just looking for an upgrade and what you have told me is probably what I need to convince me to purchase a Vaquero. If I can get another good machine like the silver with an additional 2 inches of depth then I will be pretty happy. 2 inches of extra depth can make an awful big difference in finding some old silver.

By the way where do you live and give me some of your history in the metal detecting game. Sounds like you have been at it for quite some time. Thanks again and God bless!