Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero VS Tejon Which to Buy?

somedad56

I have recently sold all of my metal detectors and am looking to buy one detector to suit my needs. I tend to hunt in an area with alot of mineralization and in trashy old home places. I am looking for a detector that provides stable operation while allowing for superior depth. I have a friend with a Tejon and he likes the depth (amazing depth) however, he said with only having a 3 3/4 turn tuner he is not able to obtain the ground balance the machine should have to operate at peak performance. I tend to look for coins and relics from civil war sites, and old home places. If you were deciding on a detector between these two which would you choose and why? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Everybody's situation is somewhat different but taking into consideration what you said, I would go with the Vaquero. It runs very smooth and IMHO, the Tejon isn't a lot deeper.. For the coins, make sure you get the 5.75 coil...best to you, RichardnTn

Authorized Tesoro Dealer

Thank you for your reply... I was considering the Vaquero as my primary choice only because I have seen my friend with his Tejon. For some odd reason he has the hardest time getting it to ground balance and he says it seems to have no discrimination because when he sets some discrimination it either doesnt do anything or on the other extreme blocks out all good finds...he even sent it in and they sent it back saying it worked just fine. I have no experience with the Vaquero and am not familiar with how it would work in my area but I am assuming through what I have read that the depth on both machines would be up to around 12 inches at max? Thanks again for your reply!

is good on both machines. In my ground conditions with these 2 machines, I can get 8-9 inches on a coin sized target..others will claim much more.. Expect less and be tickled with more...best to you, Richardntn

My Tejon discriminates just fine and the ground balance the same cept in low or no minerals all I get is positive but it goes way down there.

Thanks to all who replied! I put my White's 6000 di pro sl up for sale on ebay. I had one guy ask me in an email if I had ever used it lol he thought the condition was unbelievable. Anyway, I think I am going to Tesoro Vaquero as some say it is a little more stable running than the Tejon and that it is somewhat easier to ground balance. Thanks guys for all of your help and information!

Good choice. I was up in PA this past weekend and couldn't even use my Nautilus. I had to use my Vaquero. I could almost run the sensivity all the way up too.

How do you like the Nautilus? I looked at it but what turned me off was the looks of the machine...no offense of course because as we all know it is not the looks but the performance that counts. So how does it compare to the Vaquero that you have in regards to depth, stability, ease of use etc? Thanks again to everyone who replied!

I love my Nauty. It is my primary machine. It goes DEEP. I like the ferrous low tone and conductive high tone. It is ugly but it works. You can put it on a Whites rod and that helps with the balance. I will probably replace it with the new Troy that comes out and make the Nauty my backup for a while.

except for the Troy part (change to F75 maybe). Nauty with the whites mod and a 6" coil is as well balanced as any detector I've ever used. I also use and like a Tejon.

I have the Tejon and Cibola - have not yet used the Vaquero. I am happy with both and think that after you make your decision, it will get the job done. The Tesoro's work well and are light in weight making them a joy to use. I seem to have no problems with the ground balance on the Tejon. If I am off a tad, I don't seem to notice and still get good depth. The Tejon is a little more noisy compared to the Cibola, but that is expected. For high trash areas, I'll use the 575 coil.