Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero or Tejon???

TwT

I live in a high mineralized area in Ga., I will be new to detecting and was thinking of getting the tejon but I hear it could be hard to setup for the experienced detectorist, I was told last night that I might be better off getting the Vaquero, I plan of looking for relics, coins, jewelry and a few weeks out of the year beach combing. thank's in advance for you comments......

The Vaquero is a little more forgiving and easier to ground balance than the Tejon. It might the better choice for you since you are new to the hobby. Tesoro machines hold their value well, and you would have no problem selling the V later on if you decide to step up the Tejon. The Tejon is not that difficult to use and learn, but being new to the hobby the V might be a better choice. Your Tesoro dealer may even take the V back in trade for a Tejon. I like to call the Tejon a Vaquero on steroids.
Scully

Thanks Scully, I would love to get the Tejon instead of the Vaquero because then I wouldn't have to upgrade, I just dont want to buy something that I might get ticked at before I learn to use it. good post and Thanks again...

Hey TwT,

Before you rush out and buy a tejon, let me say something! I've had a couple of tejons and now have a couple vaquero's. They both are world class mechines, but I prefer the vaq. I really couldn't tell any difference in depth between. However, when trying to get a stable threshold in the all-metal mode, on a tejon it is almost impossible; the darn thing seems to always wander. Now, if you needed the duel disc feature, go with the tejon. Overwise, I would have to rec. the vaq (even if money isn't an issue).

Hope this helps

thanks MF Johnson. I think I will go with the V at first and then maybe try tejon later... good post and appreciate it.....

[size=small]...and heres why. First let me say that I do not have a Tejon, but I do have Vaquero. SO I wont talk about the Badger much.

I CAN say that the Vaquero is about as easy as pie to use. You said, you didnt want something that would frustrate you as a beginner. Well, I was there - a long time ago. I got a distant cousin of the Vaq, the Silver Sabre II as my first detector and I am glad I did. Why?

I didnt gawk at meters all the time, I just dug targets! I wasnt switching between modes all the time, either, trying to decide if it was worth digging or not - lets face it: if the modes are there, you'll use them for this, especially as a beginner (the only people I know who CLAIM not to are the die hard relicheads).

You still need to learn about target response and detector operation and the myriad other things every newbie has to go through. By concentrating on these things in the beginning, I soon learned what was actually in the ground. Im still convinced that digging is the root of detecting. Otherwise all you are doing is locating targets, staring at displays and twirling knobs.

Couldn't you do that with the Tejon, then graduate to more serious usage? Sure, but for general hunting, you would be overgunned with it, by all accounts. Even the Big Boys admit that.

For a newcomer, F-U-N and "wonder" should be top priority and Ease of Use tops the list of things that lead to fun and wonder. BUT, and this is a big BUT, the Vaquero has a LOT of capability to go deep and allow you to take advantage of all the different hunt environments you will find yourself exploring.

Let it also be said that the Vaquero has an excellent discriminator, which if used correctly, will teach you about the conductivity ranges of targets. This is better than expecting some whizbang-detector to tell you if its "junk or not." That way leads to less knowledge, fewer discoveries and ultimately a life in the closet for your detector.

One day you will settle on that which appeals to you the most and your little Vaquero may have to make room for other machines. But, I can assure you of this - you will always give it a place of honor and come back to it.[/size]

Thanks David, good informative post, I am kinda still up in the air on what detector to get but Im in no rush just yet (still looking at all detectors but leaning to the tereso) but just want to take my time and choice the best one for me, I thank you for your helpful info and since you live in Aiken maybe one day we can make a hunt together since we close neighbors, I live in Lincolnton Ga.

Thanks again
Ted

Youre welcome. Another option that comes to mind is Tone ID. I like it, nowadays. If you ever want to get together, let me know. I hear there is some good contruction work coming in AUG.

....now, if they only would put a selectable tone ID on there, that would do it!

I have a question about this thread -
Isnt the only or primary difference between the Vaquero and Tejon is the dual discrimination trigger?

The V has a pushbutton all metal mode, the T has a trigger and the addition of an alternate discrimiation.

???
Both have manual GB and that can be a pain for those new to the hobby.
Why then make the Vaquero more complicated than that?

The Tejon has the higher frequency which might prove a difference in how many more smaller gold and brass items that you find. All of the Tesoro detectors are fantastic and even today, I was experimenting with the old Bandido original and it will discriminate out nails with the disc set at "0" and still locate a cuff button in a handful of nails, I might add pretty darned deep too- say 7 inches in an air test. If you get either the C or Tejon, you are promised to add an additional few inches to the depth. No matter what you choose, learn the machine and you will be rewarded.

Here is another plus for the Vaquero. You are caught in the woods relic hunting in a heavy rain. With the Vaquero the Tesoro rain jacket covers and protects the control box and battery. The Tejon's battery compartment under the armrest presents a problem to protect it from rain. May seem like a small issue but I have had water damage to a 1266 battery compartment that is better built than the Tejon's.

I don't know about the Vaquero - I have the Cibola and the Tejon. The Cibola has preset GB and very easy to use. The Tejon has manual GB and dual discriminate plus audio tone adjustment. The Tejon runs 17KHz as compared to the 14KHz range on the Cibola. I like both machines but find the Tejon may require ground balance quiet often depending on soil conditions to maximize operation. I been using other machines for several years and have recently got into Tesoro's. They are keepers for sure. However you go - hope it all works out well for you.

I have the Vaquero, friend has a bounty hunter. He finds more than I do. Could be he digs faster...

As for rain, I did that once... now I go to the truck. If its been in the ground long enough to rust, itll still be there when it is dry.

i sell tesoro in hungary: www.tesoro.uni.hu
i dont sell tejon anymore!
why?
because more expensive
in bad soil the V is better
V has better disc(tejon digs iron)
the dual disc and the adjustable tone is unnecesary on tejon
(i would be happier with a volume knob and even the frequency shift isnt a usefull thing either)
easy to GB the V
V even lighter
1 piece of 9V battery is comfortable to change.
Bad point:
the upper nut isnt tight enough on the bar but isnt a big problam.

in my opinion the manufacturers put lot of unusefull features in detectors instead of try to make them to see deeper and disc better.
V is good.It have what you need and nothing else.Bravo!!!
If the V would have a volume knob instead of freq. shift and it would be deeper with 2" for a silver denarius it would be the best detector
in the world!!!

The V is a great machine, plain and simple. Forget about comparing. I haven't used the Tejon but, the V is a great machine. I have been hunting for quite a few years now and used many different types of units. I bought a Vaquero last summer and really, really enjoyed hunting with it, coins rang out loud and clear, small jewellry too. My very first good target was a victory nickel from 7-8" at a modest sensitivity setting 3 or 4 maybe. The machine runs so well behaved, especially with the 5.75 coil.

Now, as for having to upgrade later. Try and rephrase that type of thinking. At the end of the day what does any metal detector have to do? It needs to separate targets, discriminate in a clear and well defined way, adjust to current ground conditions, and be "able" to go deep, when it is desireable to do so. Speed of target recovery, is often overlooked. The only other "need to be" is TID of some type. This can either be tone or VDI. The V does all of these things very well, better than any other machine that I have used to date. The only thing that it does not blatantly do is TID of some type. There is no tone id or VDI but that does not mean that there is not some form of TID.

With time it will start to "talk" to you. You will learn where the target break points are on the DISC dial. And you will be able to adjust the GB and SENS to optimise your machine in just about any terrain.

It is confession time here. I sold my V late in the fall to buy an XLT. Many people feel tah the XLT is one of the greatest machines out there because of its adjustability. I miss the simplicity of the V very much. The XLT gives me access to a myriad of very subtle adjustments to enhance my hunting abilities and the performance of the unit, BUT, there is always but, it is not necessarily an upgrade. I try to view it as a different type of machine.

I will be buying another unit some time this year to fill in the stable so to speak. The V is at the top of the list right now with a stingray or stingray II. Only beacuse I have never hunted in the water and want to give it a try. The beauty of the stingrays is that they are VLF units much like the V and will function in the parks as well as the lakes around me.

So don't get hung up with thinking you will need to upgrade later to get a better machine. Think about the job that needs to be done and what tool is needed. The Vaquero quite simply rocks and does it in a very stable and very easy to use fashion. It isn't flashy but has the innards of something very reliable and surprisinlgy capable, like a good dog who "aint much to look at".

Take care and welcome aboard to the BEST hobby on the planet.

I have used the Tejon a couple of times, and as a matter of fact I took a used one home this past weekend to evaluate. I think I am just happier with the simple performance of the Vaquero. The adjustable tone and alternate discrimination on the Tejon are nice but not something that I require.

Things about the Vaquero that I like are:
1. Ground balances very easily.
2. Uses one 9 volt battery that can be changed in 30 seconds.
3. Light weight
4. Runs quiet with depth almost equal to the Tejon.
5. Price

Things that I don't like about the Vaquero are:
1. Can't think of anything.

HH
Scott