Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero and wet beach sand

pennysaver

I have never had the Vaquero at the beach before. Can anyone tell me how it does on wet sand. Does the ground balance help any.
Thanks, Jim

Hopefully a Vaquero user will chime in. I have used my Cibola on the beach. I have had great results over the dry sand. It falses consistently crossing the wet / dry boundery.

In the wet salt I could detect with the sensitivity turned down to I think 5 or 6 with max of 7 without too much falsing but didn't find anything deeper than about 4 inches set like that. The Vaquero ground balance may help here, hope to hear from others.

I also got the Cibola about knee deep in the suds at the lowered sensitivity. When waves washed in or out, the Cibola chimed loudly, but I could detect between the wave cycles. Turned up some finds, again up to about 4 inches.

After playing with the Cibola on the wet salt beach and in shallow water, I started looking for a water proof detector that handles the salt well.
tvr

I've owned the Cibola and now a Vaquero and tried them both in wet salt sand. The V was no better than the Cibola, regardless of the setting. The V performed better than the Cibola in dry sand thanks to the manual ground balance. There's just not enough range of manual GB in the V to compensate for wet salt. Best to save up all your dry sand clad and buy a Sand Shark for the wet.

Thanks for the posts. I am happy with the Vaquero weather or not it will perform well in wet beach sand. There is usually enough
dry sand to keep me on the beach forever. I don't get to hunt at the beach enough to justify buying a Sand Shark now but I will
keep an eye out for a used one just in case. Thanks to everyone on the forum. Jim